Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on new tripod head

Xingqiwu

Re: Advice on new tripod head

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I hate ball heads because they move all over the place. The FLM's that Peter recommends are not like that due to the locks. Ari is a great guy. I'm sure you will enjoy talking to him.
    The FLM's are starting to look more and more appealing because of the features you've mentioned. There's also a very positive review here:
    http://www.daveparryphotography.co.u...allhead-review

Xingqiwu

Man thanks! As I mentioned previously, I'd pretty much narrowed down my choice to the Arca Swiss P0 or the FLM CB38 - until I read the very negative report (see link in previous post) from a German site that tested about 35 different ball heads. On the other hand, I've read several really positive reports too, and the features mentioned by Alan (isolating axis movements) seem very appealing. I'm hoping to read more positive reviews from actual users (like this one: http://www.daveparryphotography.co.u...allhead-review)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks, Alan and Peter, for those hearty recommendations.

I'm happy to suggest FLM because I came by them first as a customer.
    If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

This might provide you with some good reading, and help you narrow down your choices: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/819...l-heads-tested

But ball heads are not for everybody; I swore them off for a long time before discovering the FLM heads.
    And if ball heads are not your bag, a lot of people here swear by the Manfrotto geared head for LF work; the smallest of them weighs only 1,2kg and should support your gear.

Richard Johnson

Xingqiwu

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Acratech might be an alternative with their cut out design. they come in at about a pound of weight.
    This new addition to the Acratech line looks interesting as well:
    http://www.acratech.net/video-ballhead/

Xingqiwu

WOW! That's a great review and very convincing. I'm leaning more and more to the FLM because of those features. I can imagine now despite never having used a ballhead that it might be frustrating, especially with LF, if you have focus set and then need to shift something around. If all the axes have to be readjusted, that could become very frustrating. Thanks so much for this great review!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Johnson View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Weihan View Post
    WOW! That's a great review and very convincing. I'm leaning more and more to the FLM because of those features. I can imagine now despite never having used a ballhead that it might be frustrating, especially with LF, if you have focus set and then need to shift something around. If all the axes have to be readjusted, that could become very frustrating. Thanks so much for this great review!
    I really like Frank Petronio and I put a lot of value to what he says about anything to do with photography. He can keep his Volvo though.

I (LOVE) my Acratech GP ballhead. LOVE IT. For smaller formats though... 6x6 and smaller.

However, for LF(5x7 Linhof!), I prefer a more solid option, so I use a 3-axis head(a big #5 Gitzo actually!). NOT light, but super sturdy, and has a large platform to mount the camera to. With a combination of carbon fiber Gitzo legs, and this head, I can use up to a 450mm(longest lens I own currently) lens and it's super solid at all extensions.

As you mentioned, Acratech is here in east LA county, in Pomona. The owner, Scott, is a super nice dude, and despite his somewhat "awkward" sounding Youtube videos, he's a really chill guy and more laid back in-person than he comes across as in the videos

I wanted to love using this ballhead with all my camera systems, but alas, it wasn't sturdy enough with my GX680 or Linhof 5x7 Technika for my tastes. But that's me. A smaller, lightweight(like a Chamonix or maybe even an Ebony) field camera may work well on a ballhead, but I can't offer any experience with those cameras, as I don't own one.

cheers,
    Dan

I value Frank's opinion, as well. He's a gear hound and has used a tremendous amount of gear, including Linhof, Arca, RRS heads. Most importantly he _uses_ them. Weihan, the advice to try out a few options is spot on. You're not that far from Acratech. How about RRS. Are they in driving range? Trying your camera out on some quality ball heads would be very helpful.

I have an Arca B1 that I bought almost 20 years ago. I use it for everything smaller than 4x5. It's got some quirks, but it works well. With 4x5, I do have an issue with making very small changes to one axis. A friend uses the biggest RRS head, and it is smoother than my Arca.

With my Toyo 45AX I mainly use a Manfrotto 410 geared head. I'm very happy with that combo.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

To add a little to an already long thread: I use a Markins Q3, specifically because it was the lightest head in its class that I could find, and my tripod gets carried around a lot. It is very well made, and close to ideal ball head. Now in an ideal world, I would love a 3-way head of similar weight, but the closest I can find is an Arca D3 and the cost is prohibitive.

The Markins replaced an earlier Arca ball head, which was also beautifully made, but both heavier and bulkier. The new Arca ball heads have one feature which I think is brilliant: the pan movement is on the top of the ball, rather than at the base (where every other head has it). The top placement means that once you level the camera you can pan horizontally, without having to first level the tripod or use a second levelling head. If you like doing multi shot panoramas, this could be the deal breaker.

Lastly, IMHO, you are overworking the reviews for the FLMs. They too have a unique advantage, combining a ball head and the independent movements of a 3-way. Ari posts wonderful work in this forum, and while I don't know him personally, he thought highly enough of the FLM to become the Canadian distributor. I would trust Ari's experience over other written reviews.

Consider a TILTALL tripod with built-in head. Total weight about 6 pounds, which is less than most carbon fiber pods with their separate heads.
    Get the one made by Leitz -- about $100 on ebay.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)