Thread: rear standard for 8x10 camera

rear standard for 8x10 camera

Hi there, I am a mostly 4x5 shooter and roll film, and accidentally bought an old wooden 8x10 enlarger from the New Zealand equivalent of ebay. After pulling of the light housing, making a ground glass and turning the whole kit around so it resembled an 8x10 camera I suddenly became inspired to shoot 8x10 and investigate the mythical qualities of the 8x10 contact print. Now I have a double dark, a box of 8x10 fuji acros and a head full of ideas. In my possession I have a 4x5 plaubel peco universal III monorail camera that I can disassemble, modify risers on to different dimensions I.e. 8x10 front and rear standards, then have full movements. Seems like a good idea but have abandoned the wooden enlarger as to light proof it is a major, the bellows are mostly 3M tape and the lens is only a process lens. I am toying with idea of making standards to fit new bellows which is a good prospect, and not too daunting, however after my novel I get to my few questions;
    Q1 What is the official term for the springback thing that one slides the film holder Under?
    Q2 if I make one is there a standard measurement for the gg from the standard flat
    Q3 it seems that is would be easier to buy a rear standard complete without risers
    Q4 anyone got one for sale and also maybe a lens and shutter
    thanks

Re: rear standard for 8x10 camera

Q3 it seems that is would be easier to buy a rear standard complete without risers
    Q4 anyone got one for sale and also maybe a lens and shutter
    thanks
    Q3 - yes.

Q4 - please use the For sale/wanted section!

Lachlan 717

I'd recommend getting in touch with this guy:. He's in NZ, making things a bit easier!

Here's some more background on him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2EVIlcMSY

Additionally, you could get in touch with Richard Ritter and discuss your needs.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks for the replies,
    Lachlan I know that guy! His name is Al, I have emailed him but Think I have come up with a good solution. I found a rear wooden standard complete with springback, hopefully I can get bellows plate or possibly I may even be able to get a new set of bellows to fit.
    Also I will use the front standard from the plaubel! The bellows will just have to be 150mm square or less to work. Then I have lensboard and all.
    Also I splashed out on a Sironar-N 240mm for I think a good price, 350mm image circle should allow for some decent movements and is a good compromise as I like wider fields of view. Or when I shot 35mm before my eyes were opened to the real formats I seemed to really gel with 24mm.
    anyhow. Am looking forward to shooting 8x10, and trying 2bath processing for good dynamic range in contacts. I have a sneaking suspicion that my next project is converting my devere 504 to 8x10 with a homemade led head.... I have never seen a 16x20print from 8x10neg and am curious.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by resurgance View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    Lachlan I know that guy! His name is Al, I have emailed him but Think I have come up with a good solution. I found a rear wooden standard complete with springback, hopefully I can get bellows plate or possibly I may even be able to get a new set of bellows to fit.
    Also I will use the front standard from the plaubel! The bellows will just have to be 150mm square or less to work. Then I have lensboard and all.
    Also I splashed out on a Sironar-N 240mm for I think a good price, 350mm image circle should allow for some decent movements and is a good compromise as I like wider fields of view. Or when I shot 35mm before my eyes were opened to the real formats I seemed to really gel with 24mm.
    anyhow. Am looking forward to shooting 8x10, and trying 2bath processing for good dynamic range in contacts. I have a sneaking suspicion that my next project is converting my devere 504 to 8x10 with a homemade led head.... I have never seen a 16x20print from 8x10neg and am curious.
    PM me if you want some options on the bellows!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

@OP
    I'm only beginning to investigate possibility of making a 8x10 camera.
    There are many threads on this forum itself that a search would point you too.
    Also, on Flickr is a thread about a guy in NZ who made his own 8x10 - you could look it up too.

. . . if I make one is there a standard measurement for the gg from the standard flat . . . .

. . . if I make one is there a standard measurement for the gg from the standard flat . . .
    According to a 1951 American Standards Association document, the so-called "T" distance from the face of a film holder to the back of the film is 0.260" +/- 0.016". The film slot is 0.016". Thus, the distance to the emulsion (or the face of a ground glass) is 0.248" +/- .0.016 plus any play of the film in its slot.

Woah the tolerances are pretty close! thanks for the replies,
    well, I am well on the road now, I have managed by fluke to buy cheaply part of a rear standard (springback) and new bellows with the bellows frame that fits. I have really got my work cut out for me manufacturing the external frame to seat the springback frame into that holds the bellows onto the springback, it is part of the lightproofing and also holds everything together. I also have to manufacture a U-Frame to hold the whole rear standard, but the Plaubel lends itself to this mod. All is made from Alloy and a mate has a powdercoating business I can almost match the greenish stipple coat of the Plaubel.
    I have managed to very neatly and lightproofly attach the bellows onto the existing plaubel front bellows frame, so am using the existing plaubel front standard as envisaged. Must sound a little unusual without pics, but I have not devoted enough time to figure out how to upload photos onto this site. Will investigate when completed the Plaubenstein.
    Very very excited, as I think I am the proud owner in the next few months of a Devere 5108!! Also just found a Linhof V1 with the fixed 90mm SA for a steal, so have in the period of a few weeks dramatically increased my format overall! Might be time to invest in that 30m Roll of 42" MGIV.... ( ! )

Good times! Funny, just listed a bunch of 35mm gear on our local trade site, I just can't take the format seriously anymore....