Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canoscan 9950F Am I nuts?

Canoscan 9950F Am I nuts?

Kirk: A bit late but perhaps not too late: Yes, film curvature is an inherent problem with flatbeds because in dry scanning the film is not secured to a uniform plane. Accordingly the plane of optimal focus of the scanner is at odds with the film plane through much of the area of the film. The reason for the film's curvature or warp has nothing to do with whether it is set vertically or horizontally. It is simply due to an unbalanced construction consisting of the hydrophillic emulsion on one side and a moinsture insensitive layer on the other. The most effective solution to the problem is to restrain the film to a perfectly flat plane which is at the optimal plane of focus of the scanner. You can do that with wet mounting, the same technique used with drum scanners but much easier and practical with flatbeds since the introduction of turnkey kits for all flatbed scanners. Not only you have greater and more uniform sharpness but your slides acquire a brilliance that until now was the preserve of drum scanners, and if that was not enough, it eliminates dust and scratches even from Kodachrome, B&W, etc. In so doing it enhances the image. You would have to spend thousands more to get a scanner that would give you those benefits. To learn more about wet mounting see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCANMAX/

Canoscan 9950F Am I nuts?

> the 9950f has a limit of 10,000 x 30,000 pixels

You must be using the really crummy Canon software, which is esp. terrible for B&W. Get a copy of Vuescan at once and quit wasting your time and turn your scanner back over.:-) Silverfast is also good, but I like the price and update policy for Vuescan (cheap and free). Plus I like to tinker and Vuescan gives you a lot of control. Seriously, depending on how the mechanics are set up, scanning on the side might not matter or might kill it in hurry.

I find that the scanner actually has a little depth of field and that sagging only matters if the film touches the glass and I get Newton's rings. When this is an issue, I use a shim - file folder with a cutout for the negative - under the carrier and it works great. The negative size is nasty - Tmax is perfect, but I had some old Chromes and negatives that I had to trim to fit the holder. Make sure that the sag is not caused by film being a little big for the holder.