Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holder hinge tape: options(and pro's/cons)

Ummm... Yeah

Re: Holder hinge tape: options(and pro's/cons)

I recently bought some tape for my daughter's baseball bat, as the handle needing taping, and found it's almost identical to the stuff on my holders. The adhesive isn't hard to work with, not gummy and thick, and it's actually quite stable. The tape is about 1 inch wide and comes in different lengths, and it's made of black cloth.

I hadn't found this when I needed to fix one of my holders, so I used electrical tape. It works nice enough, but is stiff. Definitely not a route I'd go again.

Dan:

I've always used book binders tape - Neschen's Filmoplast T Tape, I believe. Drop into Talas, 330 Morgan Ave, in East Williamsburg and check out all the pretty colors
    I've never been to the Brooklyn location, but when they were in Manhattan they were well worth a visit just to look at the beautiful leather.

Charley

Ooops! Forgot you're on the other coast! Well, you can check out the online catalog, at least.

Has anyone used the 11.5 mil Brodart tape? I will probably have to do this sometime and this looks like a promising material.

"Bookbinders tape seems to be the best, longterm option, and closest to the original tape used for the hinges. Since Fidelity/Lisco is now out of business, and Calumet is a mere shadow of its former self, I turned here first. I'm just asking for opinions on which tape people have found to be the best, and if that might include either of the two products I listed in my first post, then cool. If not, fire away if there's a really good alternative "

Dan,

For the S&S holders we used a 11.5 mil adhesive backed cloth (vinyl coated) bookbinder tape purchased from Gaylord.

http://www.gaylord.com/Archival/Book...%29/p/HYB00690

Gaffers and duct tape may be used for quick fix but are very poor long term solutions.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Definitely bookbinding tape is the thing to use. It is tough and made to be bent again and again. I have been using this one for several years.
    http://www.chromalabel.com/products/...loth-book-tape

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I think you take 5 really crappy 4x5 holders and start experimenting. Alcohol removes very little of anything. I use Acetone, very carefully to clean adhesive from glass, and plastic. I use it under my sink vent and let the wipe rags dry under the vent. I keep it off my skin and don't snort it.

Now start trying different tapes. I have heard we should use book binders tape available at Blick, but I have not tried it.
    VM&P Naptha takes most adhesive tape residue off no matter how old.
    Depending on the type of plastic acetone seems iffy I wouldn't do it nor would I use any d-limonene based remover.

Jim from Mpex recommended ripstop repair tape; that's all I've used and have had no problems.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

I have used the Gaylord tape recommended by Sandy, it has lasted four years with no issues. The roll I bought should last me forever.
    James

Gaffer tape wasn't intended to be a permanent solution to anything. It's claim to fame was the ability to remove it without damage.
    Duct tape & electrical tape adhesives either dry out or turn into goo from exposure to heat. That's normal daytime temps BTW.

Bookbinder tape seems to be the better long term solution.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 7-Aug-2014 at 11:43. Reason: fingers can't spell worth a damn.

Filmoplast-T works great on wooden holders- typically it's wrapped around the film gate and has a nice big surface area to cling to. Doesn't work nearly as well on plastic holders, where the tape usually just covers the spine. The adhesive isn't quite strong enough for that smaller surface area and also the fabric can stretch too much and get a little sloppy.

That 11.5 mil vinyl coated stuff looks worth trying though, thanks for the links.