Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CLA Sinar Norma

CLA Sinar Norma

Any Norma fans out there?

I just picked up a Norma and, being the sort of non-mechanical type, want to make a few maintenance adjustments to get it working even better than it already is. I have Phillip Morgan's excellent guide to restoring a Norma but it doesn't cover a few things--or they are not clear in the guide.

First question, all of the movements work well on mine but the rise and fall. Very hard to move at first, getting slightly better the more I play with it. What is the right way to clean the rods/rod chambers? I assume lubricating is a bad idea...

--Darin

Re: CLA Sinar Norma

I used spray silicone on the rods which worked very nicely

Richard Johnson

X-Fine Steel wool on the rods to clean off years of accumulated gunk....

The rods and the format frames are aluminium (aluminum over there :-), I would only use something as aggressive as steel wool as a last resort. Lots of soft scourers in the cleaning section of the supermarket to try first.

If the problem is corrosion (look for white powdery deposits) you will have to scrub at it with something, but start gentle and work up from there. Scotchbrite is usually more than enough.

If the problem is gummed up grease (owners often apply too much, and the wrong sort), soak in white gas/heptane/naptha. It can be worth disassembling the zero detents (watch out for spring loaded balls flying away) and clearing them out too.

A very light coating of silicone or similar can be worthwhile, but aluminum is pretty good at looking after itself if you keep salt water and other reagents away from it. Oils and the like will only attract dirt and dust.

The rise and fall shouldn't need lubricating, but Sinar supplied a MoS2 grease for Normas. Bicycle shops and watchmakers have more exotic non-sticky lubricants which are not poisonous to lick off.

Hey Struan,

No white deposits that I can see. Spent some time going over it with a clean washcloth--just friction--and they are much better, but still too stiff to use without driving myself crazy. I'll give the Scotchbright a try...thanks. Will consider the spray silicone down the road.

--Darin

Isopropil alcohol and a small but firm brush make wonders when cleaning grease and dirt without damaging or leaving residues.
    Notice that some scrubbers are abrasive, only use them when some kind of sanding is desired.
    Not any lubricant will work on a clean Norma. Controls could get too much loose, grease thickness should be considered.
    Last edited by jose angel; 18-Sep-2014 at 03:41.

Most of the guck sticks to and builds up inside the channels where the rods move. If you separate those parts you can clean inside. I would not use anything abrasive. You will notice that it is not easy to put those parts back together again and that it would seem that the rods- or legs are slightly splayed.

I have one complete Norma and 2 extra front standards and they all feel different, look different and are engraved a bit different. They were made in batches over 26 years and they evolved along the way. Production stopped almost 41years ago. I suspect that many Normas are put together from parts made up from different batches, especially as they show up as parts on Ebay.

After unlocking and loosening the rods / legs I push up equally supporting the lens on both sides.

Focus knob stuck?

O.K. I'm stuck. I'm following Philip Morgan's excellent CLA guide and am at the beginning, working on the from standard focusing mechanism. I have the focus knob out from the main assembly--but Phillip's has the older model with the lock, mine is the newer one without. Having trouble separating the sleeve from the gear mechanism.

There appear to be three parts, There's the black plastic knob assembly, there's the geared shaft, and then there is the sleeve. How I think it disassembles is that you have to remove the knob first then pull the shaft through the sleeve away from where the knob used be.

If that is correct then the problem is that I can't get the knob assembly to disengage from the shaft. I removed the set screw and the shaft will rock back and firth about 15 degrees in the knob assembly but will not go further and will not slide up and down at all.

Don't see any more set screws. Don't want to use any solvents due to the plastic knob being right there. Puzzled!

Here's a pict. Any ideas?

--Darin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norma-Focus-Knob.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	122746

Sorry Darin,
    I also have the locking style. I need to do another CLA on my Norma parts. This time with the proper grease.

The only thing that I have to add is that perhaps some parts should not be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    Sorry Darin,
    I also have the locking style. I need to do another CLA on my Norma parts. This time with the proper grease.

The only thing that I have to add is that perhaps some parts should not be touched.
    I decided in this case not to worry about it. Otherwise the CLA is going well (though slowly!)...

--Darin