Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most remote/dangerous place you've photographed?

Most remote/dangerous place you've photographed?

Secure nuclear sites at Los Alamos National Laboratories without permission for an article for Forbes Magazine on Superfund Sites. Actually not only did I not have permission, the magazine had specifically been told not to send a photographer and if they did he would be "dealt with accordingly"! I did it. I was never caught. I was never even stopped or questioned. The head of security got in huge trouble when the article came out, but I was long gone.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well, there was this little 16 year old and.....................................

Twelve years ago my girlfriend and I sea kayaked the coast of British Columbia for six months. Two months were in the winter, two months in the spring, and two months in the fall. She paddled a single and I paddled a double...the front cockpit held our "campfire tent" and my 4x5 gear.

The two months in the winter were on the north and central coast. In two months we talked to other people three times; once in Bishop Bay hotsprings, in Klemtu where we were stormbound for five days waiting out a hurricane force storm, and in Bella Bella where we left our kayaks in storage so we could go home for Christmas and earn a little more money for the next leg. It was a record winter for lack of direct sunshine (translation: constant rain/drizzle) and the eighteen hour nights were l-o-n-g. We, and our relationship, survived!!

This was before satellite phones and GPS were affordable. We navigated with charts and had a small hand held marine radio that was only powerfull enough for line of sight communication.

Murray

Frank, you seem to be asking two quetions: the most remote/exotic location in which someone answering your question has personally photographed, and what LF artists have worked in such locations. For the second question, I suggest Kenro Izu. Not only has he done LF work in remote locations around the world and especially in Asia, he has been doing so with an ultra large format camera, 14 x 20 inch, since before the current resurgence of interest in such cameras. His latest book is "Sacred Places".

Another ULF photographer who has worked in Asia, mainly China, is Lois Conner.

Flying / shooting from a small single engine airplane in remote (really remote) parts of Alaska.

Street photography in the not so good parts of Philadelphia.

Shooting stuff for the US Army in Panama.

Terence, 2004-11-10 08:22:52> A tie for Newark, New Jersey and Red Hook, Brooklyn, NY (pre-revival).

I'll second Red Hook, Brooklyn. But during revival. Was photographing an old 50's car at an old gas station on a Sunday. A big Italian guy approached me with a money wrench in his hand....
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

Re: Most remote/dangerous place you've photographed?

i live in newport, wales...its got a reputation here

Remote? Dangerous? LF? Different questions bring different answers.

Most remote: Soroako, in central Suluwesi.

(It's hand colored.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    What's the most remote/dangerous place you've done LF photography in and of? ... War zones?
    Very old thread that tombob has revived, but what the hell. Israel, Jordan and northern Egypt three months before the invasion of Iraq and in the middle of the intafada. We drove the whole of the West Bank, where there was little traffic (most people having more sense) and where anyone driving a car with Israeli plates was subject to snipers, and we entered Bethlehem, to which the entrance and exit, at the time, was militarily controlled. We also almost entered Jericho, which was surrounded by cement and which is a whole other story. Anyway, Belthlehem was a surrounded city, essentially like a hostile border crossing, complete with a tower at the entrance with machine guns and plenty of troops. Lots of UN and Red Cross cars and journalists. Crossing into or out of Bethlehem, except for military vehicles, was a two hour process. The photographs that I took at the check point were done with a 35mm camera. That was pushing it enough. At one point, I had to speak to the guys with the guns, and when I got out of the car, you can rest assured that I did it slowly and with my hands well away from my sides. Only a lunatic would have tried to set up a large format camera. Nor can I conceive that anyone in his right mind would have been walking around with an old style 4x5 press camera. Apart from those photos, the most interesting "war photos" were taken in Amman, of journalists and photographers with whom we hung out, who were waiting to get visas to enter Iraq. The visa process was very fast for Europeans, Canadians and other members of the Commonwealth - Iraq had a policy of letting the Americans cool their heels, which they mostly did at the Amman Hilton. A very high end hotel, very expensive, bombed about two years ago.

Remote with LF: Mongolia and Antarctica

Cheers,