Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Places to Retire to for LF

Re: Best Places to Retire to for LF

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dick View Post
    Far enough from large cities to live, close enough to visit.
    Good points all, and while you're talking New Hampshire, I'm thinking Olympic Peninsula.

That's Seattle just a frog jump across the water.

Mountain wilderness by day, theater in the city by night.

Hmm, maybe Seattle, Wash. over Portland, Oregon – it's a nail-biting choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seattle view from Olympics.jpg   Seattle View from Olympics-crop.jpg  

OK, why would these places be good for LF and not for other sizes or mediums?

Dominik

Clyde Butcher is in Florida and shoots beautiful LF Work. So the Everglades in Florida.

Belize is a great place to retire you have swamps, you have maya ruins, colonial architecture, what more does an LF photographer need and not to forget they actually welcome pensioners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    OK, why would these places be good for LF and not for other sizes or mediums?
    Lol, retiring specific to a format...?..... How odd....
    I thought photographically minded location selection was about the photographs, not the gear used....

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Clyde Butcher is in Florida and shoots beautiful LF Work. So the Everglades in Florida.

Belize is a great place to retire you have swamps, you have maya ruins, colonial architecture, what more does an LF photographer need and not to forget they actually welcome pensioners
    What made me a bit nervous about Belize was returning from the pyramids and passing soldiers or police, standing at parade rest at different points along the highway and armed with automatic assault weapons. Granted only one was visible at a time but each was stationed by a dirt road that ran into the jungle and if there was one there must have been more around since no jeep was visible. And it was too hot in full uniform at parade rest to be on station all that long.

And I doubt they were there to protect drivers against Fer de Lances or big cats or boars!

But it was nice to be in a Central American country that did speak English as a native language. Although the dialect sometimes made it seem like something else!

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Clyde Butcher is in Florida and shoots beautiful LF Work. So the Everglades in Florida. ...
    I visited him a couple of times. Yes, he lives in the Everglades but I don't think that you can buy property there, at least the kind he has, any more. The other neat thing was he warns you when leaving to check for snakes and gators before stepping back to your car. Standing in his studio we could see some good size gators walking in his back yard.

Where are you living right now?

Have you considered to keep your home and do some travel, i.e. to Spain for 6 months or a year, two years later to Italy, etc.? You can rent some cheap apartments or small homes there, enjoy life and landscape, knowing that you can always return 'home'.

Living in Europe (Spain and Germany) I know I will travel Latinoamerica when I will retire. Live there for several months at different places, then return 'home' for a while, plan another trip, etc. Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay (the 'safer' countries).

Les

I think the nuances of SW or PNW are worthy exploring (for a long time)....and this often takes on its own meaning, like hanging your hat for good, he he. And, if you seek greener grass...there is plenty to go around > Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, etc....oh and did I mentioned Drew's country ? :>)

Les

Small town, South Carolina, US

The midlands of South Carolina or North Carolina have several advantages. You are not living in the mountains or on the coast BUT you are only 2 or so hours
    from either. So you can have a variety of subjects. Ask Bruce Watson (of this forum) who lives in or near Raleigh, NC. (And I live in South Carolina about 100 miles south of Raleigh but not retired yet.)

Plus the cost of living is relatively low.

I recommend http://weegeeslounge.com/ which is a mile west of me, in the heart of Weegee style action territory. Tune into Chicago 460.225 Dispatch Zone 3 CPD online or as I do locally with a cheap HT.

I have retired here and will stay here, with vacations to all those wild west areas.

Humans are nature too.