Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof technar in the flesh

Linhof technar in the flesh

Oh geez, I think you're right.

Who wants to be first to bid $1,000,001.00 ? That'll get it investigated... (see other threads on eBay fraud)

The pictures in the current Linhof Technar auction were taken from an auction which ended on August 29, 2004. Adorama sold this Technar on eBay for a staggering $5655.oo, attracting 30 bids.
    Here is a link to that sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3834868076&ssPageNa

Compare the pictures and the game becomes obvious. Buyer beware!!!!!!

Jesus, Frank! How many times are you going to try to sell that Technar???

Jon, it has a nice swing weight and is much more lethal than your puny Leica.

I bid $10,000,001 thinking that it would flag eBay that something fishy was going on, per the suggestions in a previous thread. But I guess my credit with eBay must be pretty good, as their wasn't any warning message and the auction seems to be going forward without a hitch (only at $3000 last I checked, no other high rollers bidding).

If somebody else wanted to bid a safe $12 million or so, we could engage in a friendly bidding war and give this thief a heart attack ;-) Except that if I get stuck with the winning bid, I'll have to sell one of the Gulf Streams to finance the camera. Or borrow some money from my pal Cheney.

To please JP Mose.....sell a Locheed plane instead...!!
    I am greatfull that someone is trying to stop auction frauds. This is exactly why an auctionhouse where you can see, touch and then bid is a better idea than Ebay.
    Of course the number of lots a bigger at Ebay, but I guess many have been disapoited (as well as thrilled) I just think when buying at an auction, as well in a shop - both seller and byer should be happy - otherwise its bad buisness. !!

Technar.....the one at westlich auctionhouse (inc Super Angulon 75 and finder) went for EUR 1750 inch hammers premium, but all of you who have followed this thread propably already know that.

As a new item from Linhof, the Technar isnt dead, its just resting. Its only 6 years ago that Linhof faced serious troubles, and had to downsize and restructure. The Technar will return in a face lifted version....

"As a new item from Linhof, the Technar isnt dead, its just resting. Its only 6 years ago that Linhof faced serious troubles, and had to downsize and restructure. The Technar will return in a face lifted version..."

The Technar is far from new. It was introduced in 1978.

And yes, an updated Technar was shown to distributors at Photokina under the table. It had rise and shift.

Distributors were not very overwhelmed with it and it does not look, at this time, that it will be produced.

If one needs a handheld camera for extreme wide angle work the Technika 2000 is available, would be less expensive and significantly more versatile. It does not require a dedicated set of lenses as does the Technar, does not need special coned lens boards and has more movement capability and a wider array of lenses including ones the photographer already owns.

So yes, Martin, the Technar is dead.

The Technar is a light, closed (read: less prone to sand and dust), and simple camera - very much like a Hasselblad SWC. It is easy portable, and If you decide to attach a Grafmatic back, you can even go reportage-style in 4x5 handheld.

I guess that most people who go for the Technar, already owns a Technika, just as users of the Hasselblad SWC cameras normally have another 500 series camera-house with some lenses.

The Technar is a beautiful tool for handheld 4x5 and should not be compared with the 2000!

Long live the Technar!!

"The Technar is a light, closed (read: less prone to sand and dust), and simple camera - very much like a Hasselblad SWC. It is easy portable, and If you decide to attach a Grafmatic back, you can even go reportage-style in 4x5 handheld."

Very much the same for the 2000. The weight difference is 2.55 vs 2.20kg. However, Technika lenses on their boards weigh less then the same lens on Technar boards. Both are equally subject to damage from sand and dust in use (no more so then any other camera in use).

Mr. Soloman, of HP Marketing, is the US importer and distributor of Linhof products. He is perhaps not familiar with the recent very keen interest in the Technar on eBay displayed by product starved buyers. If he was, his marketing saliva would be flowing. In reviewing his comments on this and previous threads on the Technar, I am astounded by his persistantly negative attitude towards anyone who shows interest in the Technar. If I was the US importer of Linhof products, I would seriously respond to what people are asking for and trying to buy.

Let us review some recent market activity regarding the Technar. The recent sales of Technars on eBay speak volumes, and prove that there is pent up demand.

A Linhof Technar sold on eBay on August 29, 2004, for US$5,655.00, attracting 30 bids.

On September 28, 2004 an older and less pristine Technar sold on eBay for US$4,350.00, attracting 27 bids.

There is now a third Technar currently being offered on eBay, and with 3 days to go 13 bids pushed the price over $3,000 before someone pointed out that this auction was a fraud.

These three auctions prove that there is an interest in the Technar and hence a market for it. Many people have lined-up and shown that they are willing to spend some serious cash for a Technar.

This certainly suggests that there is interest in and demand for the Technar which is not being met by Linhof. It is too bad that the US distributor has not supported this camera with any enthusiasm, an attitude which likely contributed to the demise of this wonderful instrument.

The first used Technar sold for a price in New York that was very close to what a new one would cost if the camera were still in production. This should be food for thought. I sincerly hope that Linhof will consider a production run of the Technar with a 65mm or 75mm lens (these focal lengths are available in focus mounts from Rodenstock). This would be the ultimate large format camera for hand-held wide angle photography. Making viewfinder masks for 6X12, 6X9 as well as 4X5 would enhance the versatility and hence interest in this camera. I would definitely buy one if it was offered.

The Technika 2000 is not an alternative to the Technar. I shoot hand-held with a Master Technika with rangefinder coupled lenses as wide as 75mm, and I would love to have a Technar with a 65mm or 75mm lens for dedicated wide angle hand-held shooting. The Technar is a 4X5 alternative to the 6X9 ALPA 12... I would never consider the Technika 2000 for the same purpose, so stop telling me that it is an alternative to the Technar. It is not.

Please advise me as to when I can place an order for a new Linhof Technar. I am willing to buy from any Linhof distributor anywhere in the world who actively supports and promotes the return of the Technar.

Long live hand-held 4X5 photography!

"Please advise me as to when I can place an order for a new Linhof Technar. I am willing to buy from any Linhof distributor anywhere in the world who actively supports and promotes the return of the Technar."

You won't. It took over 10 years between the discontinuation of the Technar and our selling the last one to Adorama. For most of that time there was no interest at any price.

We took the Technar to 4 to 6 shows a year from 1980 to the 90's and had virtually no interest at any price.

The community that you refer to would be unable to support renewed production. Just how many do you think would sell with an initial production of 10 or 20 or 50 cameras? Other then the couple you have possibily mentioned to the Canadian distributor?

As for handheld shooting with the Master at 75mm that is all well and good. The 2000 can do hand held shooting with a 35mm and now, with the new helical wide angle focusing system for the Master it can also.