Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Quote Originally Posted by cikaziva View Post
    i just got an idea reading this tread. I want to shoots some building form a mid of the street and what i am going to do is this: but construction helmet, put orange vest, put 8x10 in a middle of non frequent street and shoot, pretending that i am land surveyor
    Actually, I and two other photographers I know wear a safety vest whenever we shoot near a road, and sometimes in the field. One time one of them was photographing in a small neighborhood. He always works off a tripod. A woman ran from her house shouting, "Would you like me to move the car?" He answered, "Yes, please!"

Drew Wiley

This past Saturday some hiker passing my 8x10 setup remarked, "Guess size matters". Don't know what he was implying. But I just replied, "Sometimes it sure does". A helluva lot of intricate texture in that particular shot that deserved big film.

Ha!

I will be buying dayglow yellow work clothes to match the local road drews (typo).

Great idea!
    Tin Can

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by cikaziva View Post
    i just got an idea reading this tread. I want to shoots some building form a mid of the street and what i am going to do is this: but construction helmet, put orange vest, put 8x10 in a middle of non frequent street and shoot, pretending that i am land surveyor
    Yes, the more brazen you are the better! Shooting in the middle of Central Avenue, downtown Albuquerque at night, it was enough to run some extension cords to a couple of 1000W lights and all traffic gave me plenty of clearance. Even the Alb. police car did a right turn quickly to avoid seeing me. People really don't mind seeing someone working, you know. Just look official and have a good time.

Re: "Guess size matters"
    He was talking about "boy parts." Can't think of a socially acceptable way to put it on a forum.... Not exactly what I would say in person.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    In the US, you'd add some orange cones and use a neon yellow vest. A wooden tripod certainly looks the part for surveying.
    Yes, a few well-positioned orange cones are a great way to motivate "respect" from onlookers – but going one step further, and connecting the cones with yellow caution tape, will also inspire deep wonder, awe, and admiration.

To be sure, your group of onlookers, standing behind the tape, will be impressed, not mock you, speak only in whispers, and look somewhat like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    ...and connecting the cones with yellow caution tape, will also inspire deep wonder, awe, and admiration...
    Starting to resemble a crime scene.

Preston Birdwell

...and connecting the cones with yellow caution tape, will also inspire deep wonder, awe, and admiration...
    If it was one of the wet plate guys, it would resemble a HazMat scene.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

There was a sales clerk at my local camera store (since closed) that just could not understand why I shot film. It almost irritated him. "You still shooting film?" he would say, with an expression and tone one would use when speaking to someone of reduced mental capacity.

Drew Wiley

"Since closed" tells it all.