Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Drew Wiley

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

The most common remark I get from young people is "Cool". The most common remark from older people is "Wow, wish I had one of those; it's beautiful". But they do all inevitably ask if film is still made, and where I get it.

No, but next person who will ask me "is it Hasselblad?", while stroking consumer dSLR on her/his neck and knownlingly nodding to surrounding admirers - will get whacked with tripod…
    Deardorff. Its right bloody there. There is actually a name plate..

Drew Wiley

John - I'm not quite sure where you shop in that part of the world. But if your Central Valley passport is still valid for crossing over Altamont Pass (or you might be able to sneak over Pacheco Pass undetected), once you mention you shoot 8x10 to any camera store clerk around here, they cower behind the sales counter until an ox
    arrives to sacrifice to you. Even mentioning film makes them too embarrassed to even pronounce "dig-gggg--gg-g-gg-ttt--- " On the other hand, around this part of
    the world we have a very difficult time pronouncing any Armenian names, especially ones ending with "ian-ian-ian-ian". That does seem to be one application digital
    memories are better at.

lol... from my own wife, who as a result of my foray into large format, hates photography. She has no idea why I drive to Maine (about an hour 45 mins) to take 2 shots. Also, why it takes me 20 minutes to tinker and then shoot. "My phone is probably just as good".

Never mocked, did have one man who stopped and said" now that's a real camera."
    I have also had people who wondered what I was doing.

Overheard a guy describing his ipad as a large format camera.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Have you ever been mocked for LF?

I loaned my 8x10 Deardorff to a professor of photography and journalism. He presented it to his all-digital class and they could not make sense of it.

He popped off the back and invited the class to look inside. The common refrain was, "It is empty! How can it make a picture?"

And "Can you still get batteries?"

The most often thing people say when they see my Ritter... Wow, how old is that thing?! "You can still get film? I thought they stopped making film years ago.

Worst yet: shooting at the beach, man comes up to me with a tripod and a d800... "You know man, you can get the same resolution by just using the D800"

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Worst yet: shooting at the beach, man comes up to me with a tripod and a d800... "You know man, you can get the same resolution by just using the D800"
    To which I hope you said, "Oh, the D800 is 200 megapixel (i.e. 4x5 scanned at 3200ppi) now?"

I've never been mocked. I've had people think it's odd, cool, uber artsy, and I've had bottles thrown at me. Never really mocked, exactly.
    -Chris

I always get great reception with my view cameras. Most common phrase is "that is really old, isn't it?" Second one is probably "it's beautiful!" This last weekend though, while walking with the camera on the tripod on my shoulder, I got asked twice "are you shooting a movie?"