Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Recently, the devil made me mock a young man for spray-and-pray digital shots of a waterfall.

"Slow down with a film camera," I suggested, "and you might get your shot!"

He sensed I wasn't a mean person, but knew I probably wasn't pulling his leg, either. He didn't reply. Instead, he offered me a supercilious smile. Then he continued at 6 or 10 frames per second. A well-behaved young man, I thought, even if a clueless photographer.

I've never been mocked for using an LF camera, in the same manner that I mocked him, but if Karma means anything, my comeuppance is long overdue!

To help me prepare for the inevitable, I'd like to hear about your experiences.

If you've ever been mocked for LF – in the field or during a conversation – what did you hear? And if you've been mocked several times, is there a remark that's common? Also, if you've ever "hit back," what did you say? Do you carry ready-made replies in your head? Or is it generally best to ignore any disparaging remarks and continue with your work – or, like an angel who sees everyone in a good light, treat it as a disguised invitation to start a friendly conversation?

Your insights will help us all improve our behavior in the jungle out there.

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Sounds more like you were not mocked for shooting large format, but you definitely mocked him for not shooting film.

One does not have to shoot film to whole down. Yes shooting large format forces you to slow down but it's not a requirement one can shoot just as slow with a digital camera.

Why not offer the young man a chance to look under your dark cloth. Then while explaining the process you can express how it has helped you learn to slow down and think about the image you are making more.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Why not offer the young man a chance to look under your dark cloth.
    I've done that on occasion.

The poor folks walk away more confused than when they arrived.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

- Leigh
    It's not just large format. I took some pictures of my grandson with a Hasselblad and he got pissed at me because I couldn't show him the pictures on the back of the camera.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

People are fascinated with LF like it is something from medieval times.

We live in an age of instant gratification. Many people can't even imagine what it's like to take a roll of 35mm film to the drug store. Let lone wait for it to be processed and printed. Technology has supposedly made our lives easier and that extends to photography so when we go through
    all of the steps involved in exposing just one sheet of film they have no frame of reference. There will always be people who mock what they don't understand. Once in a while someone comes along who is truly curious. Once in a while someone wants to take a peak under the black rag we hang over our camera. Those moments might be rare but IMO the conversation can be as rewarding as the image.

I was mocked only once in over 40 years because of my 4x5. These days with digitial so mainstream, most people don't think I am photographing in the first place. I have heard theories from passerbys such as making a movie, surveying, and my favorite, bird watching. I had the camera pointed toward the ground. What bird would allow me to watch them like that?

Once, some kids in NYC said, "Why not use a new camera?" I said, "Its actually not as old as you might think and its working fine". They were fine with that, or didn't really care.

I had a moment while shooting a landscape right off the center of a little town where a mother and her teenage son where watching. It turned out he was going to college that fall to study photography. They were so happy that I invited them to look through the camera.

Another time a middle aged man was watching me and then told me his father had cameras like mine, and watching me brought back memories of his father. He loved that I was still using a 4x5 and shooting film.

Overall, most people are simply curious or happy that I am using this kind of camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

- Leigh
    Back when Polaroid was available anywhere and at a cheap price, I frequently would let someone who showed a little interest set up a shot and take one home. Sometimes, I would take a shot of a couple and give it to them to take home. It was fun and one reason why I liked having Polaroid available at a reasonable price.

I don't much care what others are shooting. I have a D300 and it is really really good for what I do with it which is take pictures of friends and action and movement. I have never thought that I was that good at that sort of photography but the D300 kind of unlocks that for me. Quality wise, it would take a MF digital to be significantly better than this camera. I've always covered up the name plates on my cameras mainly to keep the camera goons away and it is pretty effective. I don't try to disguise my Hassy because it is impossible. I either get the folks that are impressed and stand three steps back (which is fine) or the guys that tell me that their Bozoflex Mark II is just as good as a Hasselblad. If I say anything, it's "That's nice. Mine is a Hasselblad".

If any store personal mocked me for my equipment choice, I'd ask, "Does the manager know you talk to customers this way?" The only thing a brick and mortar store has to sell is their service and courtesy. Everything is available mail order with a telephone call and a credit card. Usually at a cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post

If any store personal mocked me for my equipment choice, I'd ask, "Does the manager know you talk to customers this way?" The only thing a brick and mortar store has to sell is their service and courtesy. Everything is available mail order with a telephone call and a credit card. Usually at a cheaper price.
    It was ok. I know the guy and it was friendly mocking. I gave him trouble right back.

He did really piss off my good friend, Harold, though when he suggested that Harold sell his Hasselblad Xpan and learn how to stitch digital!

The vast majority of the unwashed masses have no idea what I'm doing.
    They don't know what a film camera of any type is, much less an 8x10.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.