Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving/updating the Tecnika

Talking Improving/updating the Tecnika

Although there have been many small changes in the 50+ years since the Technika IV was introduced, it seems to me that it could use some more serious updating. I know that B.S. will complain that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but I'd like to make the following suggestions.
    1) Using some new materials and trim off at least a pound. Start by replacing non-structural parts such as the front door and RF housing with carbon fiber. Many internal parts (such as the rails and uprights) could be lightened a bit by using titanium alloys.
    2) Fitting an easily user-changable bellows. This is almost the only part of the whole camera which is vulnerable to disaster in the field, requiring the camera be out of service while it goes to the camera hospital. (An extended trip to the Golbi Desert would feel a lot better with a spare bellows tucked away). Also, a bag bellows option would be nice for WA users.
    3) Make the opening between the front rails larger than the present 52mm, so more lenses can be fitted and still close the camera door.
    4 Get rid of the leather viewing hood and replace it with something like the old Pacemaker Graphic hood (using very light materials).
    5) Coupled moveable internal tracks (like the Pacemaker Graphics), so WA lenses can be focused with the regular knobs, without the necesity of special adapters (or a whole different camera).
    I've got more radical ideas, but it seems to me that the changes already listed could/should be done just as normal product development.
    Any other suggestions? (Not that Linhof might pay any attention.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Improving/updating the Tecnika

I had Martin put a metal Graphic hood onto my Technika and it works great, not as elegant as the OEM but more practical.

You can swap the bellows in about 30 minutes ;-)

Maybe you should look at the Master Technika 3000 which was introduced last year at Photokina and has been selling in the US since Dec. And it does have a sliding back option for digital if needed.

Bob,

As beautiful and wonderful the Master Technika 3000 is, the B&H Photo price for the camera is $6,199.95. That is more than many of us can afford at this time. I know that you do not like to hear these things, but Linhof Technikas can last almost a lifetime if well cared for. If Bill has a 50 year old Super Technika IV or was to purchase a used Super Technika IV, V, Master Technika, or Master Technika 2000 it would probably be a much less expensive alternative if it were modified.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Bob,

As beautiful and wonderful the Master Technika 3000 is, the B&H Photo price for the camera is $6,199.95. That is more than many of us can afford at this time. I know that you do not like to hear these things, but Linhof Technikas can last almost a lifetime if well cared for. If Bill has a 50 year old Super Technika IV or was to purchase a used Super Technika IV, V, Master Technika, or Master Technika 2000 it would probably be a much less expensive alternative if it were modified.

Rich
    Richard,

Have you checked the value of the Euro vs the $ lately?
    Have you checked the cost of tooling and R&D lately?
    Have you checked the size of the large format market for new precision cameras from Europe, That includes Rollei and Hasselblad as well as Leica?

The 3000 is expensive, the 2000 is discontinued and a newly designed and re-engineered and re-tooled MT would be more then the 3000.

Linhof realized that thanks to the changing market which incorporates digital as well as film that the camera had to be updated beyond the 2000. But they were able to do that by starting with the 2000 and making beneficial changes. These do add an extreme wide angle focus knob on the outside of the body, the bed dropping farther so it is not in the picture with 75 and wider lenses when taking pictures with the back in the vertical position, a new internal cam system to pre-set the infinity stop positions on the internal track for 47 to 65mm lenses, the return of sliding latches to remove the GG back to replace it with the new sliding back. The new re-design of the 001015 recessed lensboard so aperture scales and controls and the press focus are now on the front surface of the board rather then in the recess of the board, re-designing the cable release QR system on all boards that use them so there are no more of the bent wires and replacing them with a new screw-in short cable similar to the Gepe WA cable release adapter.

And all of these were managed to be done without a material increase of the discontinued 2000's price.

But yes it is expensive. But so is a new Leica, Sinar, Hasselblad, Alpa, Rollei, etc.

Bob,

I certainly understand what you are saying about tooling, R&D, the improvements in the Master 3000 and the value of the dollar versus the Euro.

I feel fortunate that I do not need a Master Technika 3000; after my Linhof Super Technika IV was stolen I followed your suggestion to purchase my Linhof Technikardan 45S in 1994. This camera meets my needs (I do not need hand holding capabilities) and was my largest camera purchase to date at about $3500 (one Leica lens cost this same amount). I prefer the operation of the Technikardan over the Technikas for many purposes though it may not be quite as rigid nor handholdable. It uses a longer bellows, is a more flexible system offering the usage of a wider assortment of lenses and the option of my wide angle bellows.

My latest Leica R8 was purchased as I believe in 1997 for about $1900?.

Since then my most expensive camera purchase was my Toho Shimo FC-45X for longer hikes and backpacking for about $1400 in December.

There is no comparison between my Technikardan 45S which weighs about 7.5lbs with the Fresnel Screen and my stripped modified Toho at 2 lbs 12 oz. The Linhof is just made to higher standards, smoothness of operation, finish, flexibility, interchangeable bellows, longer bellows, etc. My Linhof is my camera of choice for location work when closer to the vehicle or at home. But for long distances and backpacking the Toho wins for weight.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Maybe this is not completely to the point, but since we're talking about improving and updating, is there a chance that Linhof might revive the 5X7 Technika?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Vinnedge View Post
    Maybe this is not completely to the point, but since we're talking about improving and updating, is there a chance that Linhof might revive the 5X7 Technika?
    No. The market for new 5x7 cameras is so slow that Linhof now no longer makes them. Only 4x5, 8x10 and 6x9cm.

Umm, would you buy a Linhof if it was designed in Germany but made in China? Then it might cost a lot less.

Vick

There was nothing wrong with Henry Ford's Model T -- he could have gone on making and selling them for years. But technology changes, and it's up to the leaders in the field to advance with the times (not in SPITE of the times), to give the users all the advantages of later tecnology (as well as to give an incentive to buy newer ones).
    With the exception of the little catches holding the back in place, I can't think of a single reason to change from my Model T, er, Teck IV, to a newer model. I have five RF coupled lenses, my second replacement bellows, and don't need the WA advantage of the 2000/3000 models. It will certainly outlast me (unless I hit the lottery).
    Maybe it's too late for Linhof to consider updating their product, but I hope not. My intention was just to suggest some relatively simple changes to upgrade the product at reasonable costs. There's got to be a saturation point for selling new ones.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)