Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider's analogue lens production

Re: Schneider's analogue lens production

What exactly is the difference between a digital lens and an analogue lens? Is there any reason a digital lens wouldn't produce a good image on film?

I just bought another 100 year old Cooke lens. I think there will be enough lens for photogs for a long time to come.

I think i must buy some new Lf lenses that is still in stock as last package before those are gone too, i always buy new if available until it is gone completely, happy i've got 72XL new, but i want to buy 90mm and 210 brand new from Schneider if they are still available somewhere, those 2 lenses are the only 2 i keep in mind, then i will buy anything used later such as 300, 65 or 75, 240,...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    What exactly is the difference between a digital lens and an analogue lens? Is there any reason a digital lens wouldn't produce a good image on film?
    It will produce an excellent image on film, but they do not cover 4x5", some will cover 6x9cm. All hit optimal aperture around F8 rather then F22 since the digital format is much smaller then 4x5. All have higher resolution and less distortion then analog lenses and all have better contrast then most analog lenses. Lastly, since the digital sensors are so much smaller then 45 the normal lens for most systems is a 50mm as opposed to a 135 to 150mm on 45. And, since the normal is 50mm, which is an extreme wide for 45 the digital sensors also need wide angle lenses so the digital lens range is from 23mm to 180mm. 45 lenses, on the other hand ranged from about 35mm to 500mm and above.

Drew Wiley

All the electronic shutters I've seen are pretty bulky things, at least for barrel and process lenses. Am I missing something? Not that I'm shopping (sorry). Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    All the electronic shutters I've seen are pretty bulky things, at least for barrel and process lenses. Am I missing something? Not that I'm shopping (sorry). Just curious.
    Yes, both the Rodenstock and Schneider electronic shutters are between the size of a 0 and 1 shutter in diameter and about the same thicness. The Rollei is a bit larger in diameter then a 3 and quite a bit thicker.

All use separate control modules or interfaces. The Rodenstock is controlled by an iPhone, iPod or iPad. You can download its control software from the App Store if you want to see what it does. It is a free download.

Since you are in the Bay area if you go to Bear Images in Palo Alto you should be able to see some, if not all, of the current ones. They may also have them in their SF facility as well. Just if you want to satisfy your curiosity. Samy's SF might also have one in house.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Wow, no kidding, I just looked on B&H for the 350mm F11 Apo Tele Xenar Compact I got a couple years ago and now it is flat out gone! Glad I snatched it up when I did...

With new LF cameras & LF film still being made but no more copal shutters, I wonder what the used LF lens market will look like in 10-15 years?

We all knew this was coming but man, is it happening fast!
    I may have got the last new one last year!

Thanks Bob

Drew Wiley

Thanks, Bob. But if I can see Palo Alto thru the office window straight across the Bay (diagonal), it's about a three hour round trip in traffic! My wife's car broke
    down there the other evening, and it took three hours one way to tow it home. I have a friend who has a lot of this kind of gear in his studio locally, so when I get a
    chance, I'll take a look at it. But the fact that something is software dependent is not in my opinion a good feature in the field, or an indicator of reliability over the long haul. Like all such techie stuff, it has to be amortized pretty rapidly, before the software or accessory device becomes obstolete. But there should be some Gyro Gearloose method to make a simpler electronic trigger. Or maybe they already have it.

Who else besides Cooke is still making LF lenses for use with film?

RR