Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The one you did NOT miss

Re: The one you did NOT miss

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I shot this in June of 2011. Within a year the empty lot in the foreground became a high-rise apartment building so this unobstructed vantage point of the marquee is gone forever.

Pacemaker Speed Graphic, 178mm f/2.5 Aero Ektar, Polaroid Type 54.

Jonathan
    Man, this one burns me up! Every time I used to drive by that theater, my photo sense would tingle and I would think; "I've got to photograph that before they build on that lot!" and then of course before I got around to it they did build on that lot, and they filled it in so completely too! It also burns me up that you made such an interesting picture of it, damn you.

As for one's I've managed to catch, a couple come to mind. Everybody's probably sick of seeing this one (sorry everybody), but I still like it and I'm glad I photographed it when I did. If this was the autumn of this boat's life, it is now well into winter. It's still interesting, but anyway I'm glad I photographed it then:

The Point Reyes, Tomales Bay by Austin Granger, on Flickr

The other one is this, of a Japanese dock that washed ashore on the Oregon coast sometime after the terrible earthquake and tsunami. I heard about the dock arriving on the radio and I was immediately obsessed with the idea of photographing it. So I set my alarm for some ungodly hour and drove out there the next morning and found it. They hauled it away soon after.

Japanese Dock, Oregon Coast by Austin Granger, on Flickr

I think it was Diane Arbus that said that she often felt like taking pictures was like stealing cookies from the cookie jar, and I completely understand what she meant. If I think I've made a good one, it always does feel like I got away with something, and just in the nick of time too!

Tobacco Barn, Massachusetts
    4x5 Tachihara, 240mm Fujinon A

I'm glad I stopped to photograph it that foggy morning a number of years ago. Now it's a pile of debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    Fantastic!! I saved a copy, I would like to look at this one periodically.
    Thanks. Glad you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Man, this one burns me up! Every time I used to drive by that theater, my photo sense would tingle and I would think; "I've got to photograph that before they build on that lot!" and then of course before I got around to it they did build on that lot, and they filled it in so completely too! It also burns me up that you made such an interesting picture of it, damn you.
    For every one like this that I caught in time, there are dozens that I let slip past. The funny thing is, as I was setting up the shot of the theater a guy approached me to tell me they would soon be building on the empty lot. Until that point I didn't know. I meant to go back and shoot some "straight" shots from the same vantage point, but, alas, I let those additional opportunities slip through my grasp. You seem to have done pretty well in and around Portland, though, capturing things that are vanishing. Driving to the coast to photograph the washed up Japanese dock was well worth it and something I'd never do. I'm glad I've got you around to live vicariously through!

Jonathan

I shot this art deco theater in Hellertown, Pennsylvania back in May of 2014. The theater was built in 1940 and it had stood empty for more than 12 years after its latest owner died in 2002. In Winter of 2014 it was purchased by a medical group and the building repurposed in 2015 as a dental clinic, the art deco facade falling victim in the process. Shot on Busch Pressman 4x5 with Schneider Angulon 90mm on Kodak Ektascan B/RA X-Ray film.

4x5 for 365 project (146/365) by Gregg Obst, on Flickr
    GreggObst.com
    LF 8x10/5x7/4x5, MF and 35mm shooter.

The place I mentioned that was off the access road with the graffiti and horses.... Gone. I'm an idiot....

Scott - wonderful idea for a thread ! Thanks.

Took this many years ago - in Cleveland, New Mexico.
    - Somehow, the negative was lost among others.
    I never printed it until 2 years ago when it surfaced while I was looking thru my negatives.
    I posted the image on the forum under the "Rural America" thread shortly after making the first print.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=rural Post #103

At the time I took the photograph, I remember thinking "How perfect a scene - really lost in time".
    And that had to be almost 40 years ago ! Looking at it now, more true than ever.
    Especially when compared to its modern counterpart, the "MobilMart".

I recently received an email from the grand daughter of the station owner who found the image on the internet (as a result of being posted on the forum). She commented how happy she was to see her grandfather's station the way she remembered it in the "good old days". I sent her a print.

Since making the version originally posted on the forum, I tried to improve on the printing.

4x5 - 150mm Symmar - Tri-X Normal dev HC110
    I know just enough to be dangerous !