Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar shutter

Sinar shutter

I,ve never actually seen one of these, and want to use one instead of a Packard shutter. Can anyone tell me if the shutter hole is always the same size and is the shutter release cable standard ?

Thanks
    Bruce

Lachlan 717

Re: Sinar shutter

The hole diameter is fixed and the cable IS NOT standard!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

If you buy a Sinar Shutter make sure you get the Sinar cable release with it. The Sinar cable releases are terribly expensive new and very hard if not impossible to find on the used market by themselves.

Also be aware that this shutter is used behind the lens, so the lens must be mounted in what's known as a DB mount so that the rear element does not protrude into the plane of the shutter's blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Also be aware that this shutter is used behind the lens, so the lens must be mounted in what's known as a DB mount so that the rear element does not protrude into the plane of the shutter's blades.
    A DB mount is not required. I've used several lenses in front of a Sinar/Copal shutter mounted on standard Sinar/Horseman lensboards. The DB mount adds convenience in that it links the aperture with an aperture control on the shutter. Nice if you have it, but not necessary. What is important with any lens mounting and the Sinar/Copal is that the rear cell of the lens sit forward enough so as not to interfere with the operation of the shutter. I recently sold a 36cm Heliar with just such a mounting. An extension collar was made to go between the lensboard and the mounting flange of the lens. The height of the collar was determined by the lens dimensions so that the rear element sits flush with the rear surface of the lensboard. Because of the diameter of the collar, slots were cut top and bottom to allow the lens retaining hardware to fully engage the lensboard.

I've had this done with a number of barrel lenses and S.K. Grimes is familiar with fabricating this kind of mounting. It does add to the cost of mounting, but is much cheaper by far than having each lens mounted in its own shutter. (In fact, I'm not even sure there is a shutter large enough for this Heliar, although a Betax #5 might fit.) This lens has been sold, but I wanted to share the mounting method.

A DB mount is certainly convenient, but don't be dissuaded from the Sinar/Copal shutter simply because your lenses are not DB-mounted.

Will, I certainly agree with you that the DB mount isn't really required, and you've provided an excellent description of one such alternative. I've seen several threads here at times that illustrate various means of moving the lens forward on the board. It's unfortunate that I said the DB was required, simply because of my lack of personal experience with such schemes. BTW, what is that light-colored strip at the top of the lens extension in your pic?

To add to what Will said, there is a way of cheating too. You can take a Sinar F standard with the Sinar shutter attached to it and place it between your two existing standards. Of course you will need two sets of bellows to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    To add to what Will said, there is a way of cheating too. You can take a Sinar F standard with the Sinar shutter attached to it and place it between your two existing standards. Of course you will need two sets of bellows to do this.
    Alan, I've wondered about that method as well, but is there not a possibility of vignetting with the shutter opening being farther away from the rear lens element?

Alan, I've wondered about that method as well, but is there not a possibility of vignetting with the shutter opening being farther away from the rear lens element?
    If you use a bag bellows between the front two standards you can get the rear of the lens pretty much as close to the shutter as you want. This does require some fussing and fiddling - it's better suited to a studio setup than to running around in the field.

Like Oren says.

I own a Sinar P and got a good deal on a Sinar F outfit with Sinar Shutter. I kept what I wanted and parted out the rest. I played with the Sinar Shutter before I sold it. They are really neat and will even cock the shutter for you when you insert a film holder if you have the correct cable. All my lenses are in shutter so I didn't need it. I wish I could afford all the toys!