Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F.64 Extra Large Backpack for 4x5 (not 8x10) ?

Re: F.64 Extra Large Backpack for 4x5 (not 8x10) ?

Yes, I'm sure its big enough. My worry is that it is too big!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Yes, I'm sure its big enough. My worry is that it is too big!
    Well, given that...

1) you won it, so you already own it, and ...

2) you're not obliged to fill it to the brim like I do, and ...

3) it's a very comfortable pack regardless of how heavily it's loaded ...

it would seem that you're going to use it.

It does have inside dividers that will hold 8 (IIRC) 4x5 film holders if you put the camera in the front pouch.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Well, I guess nobody uses it for 4x5. I'll try it out, put my kit in the bottom and use the top like a day pack for a jacket and lunch!

Well, I guess nobody uses it for 4x5.
    Huh ???

Back in post #3 I gave a description and photos of my 4x5 kit in that pack.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I use it for my chamonix 4x5. It's GREAT. Roomy for everything I need without being packed too tight. And it's very comfortable on the back and shoulders. Give it try - fill it to your hearts content. Scott

Thanks Scott. Sounds like it will work well. How do you carry your tripod?

Thanks Scott. Sounds like it will work well. How do you carry your tripod?
    Tim, if your pack came with the film pouches on the side, you can use one pouch to stick a leg or two of your tripod in the pouch and strap it vertically to your pack. This works best with 3 section tripods as taller tripods stick up too tall making it awkward. Not the most elegant solution but it works fine.

Thanks Erik. That sounds like a pretty good plan. I do have a short tripod, so thats not a problem, and I have been trying to think of some sort of sheath or tube arrangement that would eliminate straps. This way I would only have one.

I got a F.64 BPX for use with my 4x5 and 5x7 about two months ago. It was a great deal used on Amazon and looked brand new. It's a very well built bag, that having been said, there are some problems that I have with it. These are probably nit picky and won't be seen as issues by many.

Since I keep each of my 4x5 holders in its own zip lock bag (I hate dust) that limits the side holder pouches to five holders each instead of the six. If they made a holder pouch that held ten holders, at least I could get eight in there and that would be perfect. The rounded top. Why do manufacturers of dedicated camera bags still do this ? Who makes ANY gear shaped like a slice of pie that will fit into those corner sections ? Why not just make a squared off top instead ? I ended up removing the foam inserts from the top section and have four lenses each in their own Domke wraps stored up there. I wish the larger of the foam inserts found in the main compartment was a little more beefy with thicker velcro strips to help it sustain the weight of items like film holders stored above them. If you normally store the camera in the very bottom of the pack but remove it once on location and walk around with it on the tripod, this leaves the items stored on the padded dividers at the top to sag and eventually that divider collapses down to the bottom while walking around with the bag on. If they were a little thicker with better supporting velcro strips, this would not happen. Yes, you can re-arrange things to put the items down where the camera used to be but you shouldn't have to do that if the dividers were designed better. I may explore some third party dividers for solving this issue.

Some have noted that you can carry the camera in the front section and while that's certainly true, do yourself a favor and get some padding or if you have a thicker focusing cloth, wrap the camera in that first. There is no padding on that outside flap to protect the camera should you drop the bag or fall backwards on a hike.

If you do any hiking at all, I think you will appreciate the well padded waist belt, which is also removable if it gets in the way on non-hiking trips. The rain cover that folds out from the bottom is pretty nice too. The side 4x5 holder pouches also come with a detachable shoulder belt which is nice for keeping holders in while you walk around a shooting location without the bag. All in all, I think you'll like the bag but may find it a bit large for all of your 4x5 work. Some trips you may find you'll want a smaller, lighter bag for when you travel with a more scaled down kit.
    GreggObst.com
    LF 8x10/5x7/4x5, MF and 35mm shooter.

Greg:

Your remarks about rounded storage areas are spot-on for many here I am sure.

I am transitioning my 4x5 gear into the semi-rigid protective boxes by PhotoBackpacker. This is a system designed to hold LF lenses and cameras.

Check it out at:

www.photobackpacker.com
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!