Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Integration of view camera with digital back?

Integration of view camera with digital back?

Dear all,

Please forgive the rookie question, but I was wondering to what extend it is possible to use a medium format digital back on a standard view camera like an Ebony 45SU.

I guess that the 2 key aspects are:

- how is it possible to synchronize the shutter of the lens with the digital back?
    - how can you physically adapt the digital back to the Gaflock back of an Ebony?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,
    Bernard

Linhof makes a Hasselblad to Graphlock adapter to mount any Hasselblad compatible back (digital or film) to your camera.

bob,

does the linhof adaptor have a wind on device? will it work on both the a12 and th a24?

thanks

No the Linhof adapter is basically designed to use Hasselblad digital backs, not film. For film you would be better off with a 6x6 large format roll film back or you would have to devise your own method of advancing film on a Hasselblad back.

Thank you for your answer Bob,

The Linhof solution would appear to provide a physical bridge between the back and the view camera, but I still not sure how the syncrhonization is made in the case of digital back.

Would you have any information on this?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,
    Bernard

As nice as Ebony cameras are, I suspect they may not be up to the task of keeping a heavy digital back in true alignment with the lens standard. There is a reason that the professional cameras aimed at digital back use are overbuilt tanks (the Sinar P3, Arca Monoliths, Rollei Xact, etc.). Also, the amount of movements required for the smaller chips is much more subtle, so geared movements are almost a necessity if you want pinpoint control.

Dear Bernhard

The sync goes from the flash outlet on the lens to a sync-out on the back . I am selling Imacon Ixpress backs, and they work perfectly on all large format cameras.
    We have special offer on the new Ixpress V96C, Its a 16 megapixel 16-bit 4x4cm chip back.
    The price for complete set is USD 9.990,-

regards

martin dahl
    www.photografica.com

" but I still not sure how the syncrhonization is made in the case of digital back.

Would you have any information on this?"

This depends on the back you use. Some can synchronize properly with a regular Copal shutter. Some work best with a Copal Press shutter and some require a fully electronic system like the Rollei Linear Motor Shutters or the Horseman ISS shutters. Some that use the electronic shutters also require a special cable to connect the back to the controller. others do not.

If there is any question check with your back manufacturer. He will know if you require special shutters or special digital lenses.

You would find that to maximize an investment into digital a camera like the Linhof M679, M679cc or M679cs would be more practical then a 45 field camera.

Thank you very much for your kind answers gentlemen.

As of today, the Maniya 22MP back would appear to be the best option if the release prices tag matches the internet rumours (around 10.000 US$).

I will check with Mamiya upon release if there is a possibility to mount their back on the Graphlock back of my Ebony.

Best regards,
    Bernard

As of today, Mamiya haven't yet built their 22MP back (except in prototype) nor finished the software, so whether it will fit your Ebony is purely hypothetical...

IF they actually manufacture this back, you may want to wait to see how it compares to other solutions. Afterall, it is becoming a market where software prowess is king, and we have no evidence at all that Mamiya can craft the firmware and software needed to get good images out of the Dalsa chip.