Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a museum display

Re: Help with a museum display

Replying to Ken, who asks:
    When you get matt board and glass, how can you be sure that the combined thickness will be right ? I got a frame and some matt board but the whole thing slips around.
    That's where the spring clips come in- they hold the "sandwich" tightly in the frame. I've attached a couple of snaps to show close ups, and a video (not mine) I found with general assembly instructions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring_clip.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	117709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nielsen_close_up.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	117710

Hope this helps.
    jbhogan

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    That general rule would seem excessive to me. I know people mat postage stamp size prints in oversize mats ala your upper right, but I don't think that is customary, and it will also increase costs dramatically.
    Please understand the pictures attached are for metal frame illustration purposes only. It so happens that the framed images in the picture are part of a "youth exhibition" where we have specific frame sizes set aside solely for that exhibition, so we fit the mat sizes to the frame in some cases, (rather than the print) resulting in a varied look. Believe it or not, it saves money, because having uniform frame sizes saves design and installation time, which is far more expensive than mat board. I can promise you we got no aesthetic complaints from the kids.

Also, although a good illustration of prints of differing sizes in same size frames, I've not generally seen the salon style of hanging in any major museums in my area, except where the curator specifically wishes to group works together for comparison.
    As far as hanging strategies go, different individuals have different ideas of the appropriate way to display work, and I can say from experience in multiple museums that there are usually at least three people involved (assuming the institution has all three): exhibition designer, curator, and executive director. Guess who has the final say?

What museum do you work at it?
    Let's just say it's a modestly-sized but rather well-respected institution located in a large southern California city. BTW, I'm not an exhibition designer, curator, nor am I, sadly, an executive director...
    jbhogan

For a small 20 prints exhibition, I think that same size frames will be more appropriate. For 4x5 and 5x7, I suggest a 16x20 frame size.
    If the frames will be yours after the show, you can ask the museum standard way to do but don't forget to chose the way you will like your actual work and future work be exposed. A standard size will be also easier for later, you will only to have new mats done, and 16x20 is exactly 4 pieces in a standard 32x40" matboard.
    Wood frame are classic: it can be mat black as suggested by others members but also natural wood or white or bleach one. Have some demo corners for a framer and compare with your prints. Mat boards came also in a lot of various white. Depending of your prints, mats and frames tints must be choose carefully.
    Good framing is like good mount making for objects, it is well done when you don't see it in the exhibition.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan View Post
    Replying to Ken, who asks:
    That's where the spring clips come in- they hold the "sandwich" tightly in the frame. I've attached a couple of snaps to show close ups, and a video (not mine) I found with general assembly instructions.
    Thanks for that. I have used the clips, but in my case there wasn't enough room for the clips. The matt + photo + backing was too thick for the clips to be inserted, but not so thick that the whole thing didn't slip around.

I had no problem when I purchased ready-made kits, since someone had already figured out a workable combination, but when I tried on my own (20x24 frame) it didn't work. I guess you just have to try and try until you find something that works ?

Rather than use spring clips, I pad the space with archival foamcore. This provides more protection and eliminates occasional buckling of the mat and mounting boards.

Thanks

Hi Richard.....The show will be for the month of September.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    J. Durr, when will the show open? Love the MS Museum of Art and would like to meet a fellow platinum printer. I'm in New Orleans.

And I agree with Richard; bigger frames with small prints looks great.

Thom

Thanks for the comments and advice to ALL of YOU. Very helpful and encouraging. I will let you know how it turns out, if I don't have a duck before the show!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Thanks for that. I have used the clips, but in my case there wasn't enough room for the clips. The matt + photo + backing was too thick for the clips to be inserted, but not so thick that the whole thing didn't slip around.

I had no problem when I purchased ready-made kits, since someone had already figured out a workable combination, but when I tried on my own (20x24 frame) it didn't work. I guess you just have to try and try until you find something that works ?
    I have had that problem too. I have hammered spring clips to be flatter, or padded it with a strip of mat board, or taped it, or not worried about it. Your ready made kits were probably perfectly cut so there was not room for it to slide around if it could. If we cut it 1/16" short on one edge, there is room for things to move around left/right/up/down

jhogan, thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    For 4x5 and 5x7, I suggest a 16x20 frame size...
    So, I'm going to beat a dead horse here in the interests of stimulating reasoned discussion. That suggestion, clearly your right and sense of aesthetic, of double plus frame size resulting in a relatively small work presented in a relatively large frame can be seen at least two ways.

1) The large amount of framed space around the work separates the diminutive work from the wall environs, and so focuses attention clearly on the work.
    2) The large amount of framed space around the work suggests a general insecurity about the work, by the presenter, by padding the periphery with mat board, attempting to make the work larger and/or more important, possibly in relation to other works hung.

A lot has been said about the framing, or more generally, the presentation disappearing beneath the work. It seems to me that overly large presentation forms draw attention to presentation – and not positively.