Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cryo treating film

Cryo treating film

actually I was photogorpahing some of Franklin's lead soldered tins of food (empty) not so long ago - but it was canned tripe - so I'm not sure if it was the lead or the tripe that did the damage.

However, I believe they found some of Scott's b=jars of Marmite at one of his base camps down at the other Pole. Apparently it was still completely edible. Only two things can survive a nuclear holocaust - cockroaches and marmite.....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Cryo treating film

Well what the hell do I know? *Eating crunchy raisin bran*

Cryo treating film

If liquor and ciggies don't bury me, don't expect much more in the way of a death wish.

Cryo treating film

Okay, I lust after a Calumet C-1......death wish broadened. :P

Cryo treating film

Uhmmmm, Right.
    Actually I was refering to the transformation that occures in steels when they are subjected to extreme cold followed by a very slow return to room temp. This has the effect of causing the carbide grains to precipitate from austinite to soemthing or another-ite (been too long since my basic metallurgy classes) which has a MUCH FINER GRAIN structure. I know silver, not carbide, but hey! maybe.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Cryo treating film

Chris, just get some Efke 25 and have at it.

Cryo treating film

Efke 25 does not look the same as Tech Pan. Also, Efke does not have the extended red sensitivity the TP does.

Cryo treating film

>One of the wierder ideas I had was to send out some Plus-X or T-Max 100 and have it cryo treated( cool to -300 degrees F and bring is back up slowly).

What are you talking for a temperature vs time profile?

Chris

Cryo treating film

Chris, the company I am ging to use quotes a 72 hr run down from 0 degrees F to -300 degrees F followed by a 72 hr hold and then 72 hrs back up to zero. At this point a low temp heat soak occures but I think I'd pass on that and just let the film come back to room temp. What did you have in mind?

Cheers,
    Chris Jordan

Cryo treating film

The nice thing about experiments of this nature is that they don't hurt, and might actually provide a useful technique. Go for it, and let us know what you discover.

I think Chris Gittins was making a joke - if it's 10 min @ 68°, what would the time be at -300°? 8^)