Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pressing FP print on dry press mount?

pressing FP print on dry press mount?

I got one locally and was wondering if regular foam board is good to sandwich the print in the press mount?
    or is there any different type of boards that is more suitable?

Regards,
    Mohammed

Re: pressing FP print on dry press mount?

Use only release paper of release boards. B&H sells it. Also Costco sells something very close to it as silicone parchment baking paper.

You don't want anything damaging your press or sticking to anything besides the print and mount board.

I always keep release boards inside my press for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    I got one locally and was wondering if regular foam board is good to sandwich the print in the press mount?
    or is there any different type of boards that is more suitable?

Regards,
    Mohammed

now does this release board goes in direct contact with the paper or just direct to the hot (above and lower press plates)? I just want to straight the curly fb prints.

Read this. It's the manufacturer's instruction manual. They tell all.

http://simmonsphotos.com/Seal/210M%20&%20160M.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    now does this release board goes in direct contact with the paper or just direct to the hot (above and lower press plates)? I just want to straight the curly fb prints.

I simply press the print between a couple of pieces of mat board that are larger than print. Press for a minute, release pressure, press for another minute. Place between mat board with weight for a day, print will be flat.

For mounting prints always release paper.

Foam core board is nice to mount onto for certain purposes, but it would make a lousy press board for the top surface; not only is it clay-coated, but styrofoam is a pretty good thermal insulator...

I use two pieces of mat board, or other smooth acid-free board. Opening the press a few times as Alan suggests helps to allow the moisture to escape. I never have used release paper.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

As others, no kind of release paper is necessary for fiber based photographic media, just use two clean mat boards between the platens. Foam board is best used for cold mounts. If your goal is simply to flatten prints, a minute of heating should be fine. Place under weight to cool and the bare print should be fine. If the goal is to mount the print, with bonding tissue, the appropriate heat required by the manufacturer to melt the tissue must be observed as experienced in your particular press. Two minutes is usually required for that process. Understand that proper adhesion occurs in the cooling stage, once again under weight. You may want to have a look at this: Print Presentation

You can use also unbuffered conservation blotting paper that will be more absorbent than mat board. You will find blotting paper in different thickness, something like 135 lbs will be fine and less expensive that high quality mat boards. Available in standard size 32x40 and 40x60 like mats.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Thanks all for the feedback.
    I just did one dirty (Exposure test Print) of Foma FB paper sandwich between 2 museum board that my sister has. I'll let it cool down and see if it flat or not (I did it at 225F degree for 2 mins)