Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ritter 14x20 camera

Re: Ritter 14x20 camera

Quote Originally Posted by ndg View Post
    When I thought of getting the camera, I emailed Simon over at APUG about that size film. He thought it would be possible and I was just happy to get that size. I didn't worry too much whether it was FP4 or HP5.
    Initially I ordered 2 but got only one box which I've hardly used. At almost $20/sheet, I'm almost afraid to touch the box.
    I've been using Xray film and photo paper mostly.
    The other thing I realized is how restricted one is shooting with barrel lenses. My kit lenses are now the Nikon 450, the Fuji 600 and a RDA 30" that I had a shutter added to.
    The camera has impressed me with how sturdy it is. I haven't used it in the last few months since I pulled my back and have been having spasms. Hopefully that will subside soon.

Nana,

Congratulations on the beautiful camera from Richard, and hope you enjoy using it.

I too would consider FP4+ a much better film for almost any type of printing with alternative processes because of its expansion potential, especially useful in scenes of low contrast where you need a film that will develop to a high CI.

X-Ray film is certainly an attractive alternative, and as you and Jim have found, it can be made to work nicely with carbon transfer printing.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I'm here waiting for my Ritter 14x20 camera too, maybe around December.

Quote Originally Posted by fan8877 View Post
    Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by fan8877 View Post
    Well, Richard does remind me of Santa!

What a path... Lets there be followers !
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Well, Richard does remind me of Santa!
    And you are always a good little boy so that Santa will make you toys.

Nevertheless, Richard doesn't resemble Santa below the neck. Or maybe mid-chest where the beard ends. Too much walking the trails in the woods of Vermont to have acquired Santa's tummy. Unlike you and me...
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

If someone is looking for 14x17 film holders, keep checking out your state's surplus store that sells surplus equipment from your state's Medical school. While back picked up a bunch of used X-ray 11x14 and 14x17 film holders for a few dollars each. Passed on the 14x17s to someone who shoots 14x17. Kept and have been using the Fidelity 11x14s. Mine had plastic extensions on the 14" sides held on by 2 screws that were easily removed. Even though the Medical school may have gone digital 20+ years ago, the unused ULF film holders usually go into the back of a closet and stay there till the closet is cleaned out and items surplussed.

Greg

Now if ilford would just add 14x20 HP5+ to their ULF run... FP4+ is nice for alt printers but for me, normal contact printing, HP5+ is preferred, again, to me.

Ah well, the 14x17 is nice but I do find the 14x20 a much better ratio personally.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Now if ilford would just add 14x20 HP5+ to their ULF run... FP4+ is nice for alt printers but for me, normal contact printing, HP5+ is preferred, again, to me.

Ah well, the 14x17 is nice but I do find the 14x20 a much better ratio personally.
    They'll make it outside the annual run too - I vaguely recall you'd have to order somewhere in the low 1000s of dollars - at that size you'd be looking at about 100 sheets or so - it'd also be cheaper per sheet than the ULF run. If you're dropping $6k on a new camera it's a worthwhile investment.

The other big expenditure to think about is a vacuum contact print unit - goes with the territory in alt-process at those dimensions, tends to get forgotten about in silver gelatin ULF contact print processes - some 8x10 enlargers had vac easels which would do the trick nicely.

Ritter 14x20 camera

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    They'll make it outside the annual run too - I vaguely recall you'd have to order somewhere in the low 1000s of dollars - at that size you'd be looking at about 100 sheets or so - it'd also be cheaper per sheet than the ULF run. If you're dropping $6k on a new camera it's a worthwhile investment.

The other big expenditure to think about is a vacuum contact print unit - goes with the territory in alt-process at those dimensions, tends to get forgotten about in silver gelatin ULF contact print processes - some 8x10 enlargers had vac easels which would do the trick nicely.
    You need a vac in the contact print frame for alt? Why? Does the paper crinkle? Interesting. I would think the pressure on the backboard would flatten it out like any other paper, but I have no concept of alt printing.

I also build my own, $100-$300 investment is all it takes to build a 14x17 camera if you're handy. (I when to link my YouTube video and realized I never posted it because I've been putting off scanning the 14x17 negs and sticking them.... Have to get on that...)