Thread: Lucky me? 2 Cooke Series II Portrait lenses in one deal.

Lucky me? 2 Cooke Series II Portrait lenses in one deal.

I am not looking for pricing or value as we all know that sure varies a lot.

I can use them for 2 weeks to make up my mind. Lens board making is tomorrow.

It's a private party sale where the seller insists I be a user and not a speculator.

OK, for the meat of the matter. Both are Cooke Portrait Series II f4.5. One is 10-1/2" # 125439 and the other is 14-1/2" # 56973. According to research the little one covers 5x8 and the bigger 8x10.

The little one has the handle and set focus stops, the big one does not have a handle or marks engraved for focus stops.

My questions are for people who have used these.

How do you like them?

Any tips?

Can I shoot portraits up one format with them?

Age?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5051.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	117050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSCN5057.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	117051

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Lucky me? 2 Cooke Series II Portrait lenses in one deal.

If you're into vintage lenses, it's hard to imagine anything nicer! An elegant design with the option of adjustable softness, and no one did the lens-grinding or machine work better than TT&H. The 10.5" would be perfect for 4x5 and 5x7, and the 14 1/2" for 8x10.

The Knuckler attachment began in 1924, so the small lens dates there or after. The large lens is the earlier version of the same lens; I'm not sure if they overlapped or not, but I tend to doubt it.

And if you buy them, yes, lucky you!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Just got the Cooke 14.5 mounted up on the 11x14 Deardorff.

Took my time on the lens board as I don't want to have a crash.

f4.5 sure is bright. And for 1 to 1 portrait work I think it will work. My whole 11x14 GG is bright and I don't care how sharp or soft the edges are.

The thing is this lens does not have marks, as in 1 to 4 softness settings like the smaller one and I guess I will need to mark my soft focus spots with gaff tape. I sure am not going to etch or scratch marks in. A 1/4 turn soft looks not too soft on GG. 2 turns soft looks way out of focus. The thing is, I can refocus it when it is 2 turns out.

Looks good so far, but I know i'll want a longer one and those seem really scarce.

Shooting some studio shots tomorrow.

Buy both if you can, seems like a rare opportunity to spend quality time with serious vintage glass.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Most likely I will get the pair. Mounted the big one no problem as my SC11 has a big inside Packard.

For the little one, it's taking more time as I need to make a shutter box and conform the system to my Horseman lens board system, which I use on a few cameras.

I'm going to post a show and tell on the little Cooke fit up. It may interest some people in a slightly different way to set this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Buy both if you can, seems like a rare opportunity to spend quality time with serious vintage glass.

Here's a pictorial of my mounting the 10.5 Cooke on an old 5x7/8x10 Limhof Color Kardan. It seems nobody loves these things but me.

I consolidate all lenses possible to Horseman board or small Linhof. I use Horseman frames to adapt to bigger cameras.

I wanted a Packard shutter so it is mounted on the back of the 9" Linhof board. It's complete except for the flash sync microswitch. I use that to trigger my wireless strobes.

Now I can mount 4 barrel lenses to it and all Sinar/Horseman mounted shutter lenses.

I used hole saws very carefully to bore my holes, they came out great. The rest was fitting it all up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5062-001.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	117234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSCN5065-001.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	117237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-DSCN5068.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	117238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-DSCN5073-001.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	117239

I am hoping I have hit the right thread here and you may be able to offer some advice. I have just received my cooke 15 inch f:3.5 portrait knuckler, what a lot of lens! Anyway, the soft focus turns ok, but the knuckles seem a bit loose, is this normal? If not how can they be tightened (correctly)?

Just read your thread on the size of the illuminated image on gg, cant wait for a look see. but the mounting board wont fit on my Deardorff 11x14, the board is slightly larger. I am going to have to take the face plate off the Deardorff and make a new one, my ilexpo shutter is slightly too big for the deardorff too.
    So any advice on those knuckles would be appreciated.

Yes, the knuckles are mounted by 2 internal screws at the base of the casting. You may wish to add a friction ring to ensure they doesn't get loose again - and also prevent thread damage with over tightening. Getting the ring off is not difficult.