Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limitations or weaknesses in 510 Pyro

45-57-617

Re: Limitations or weaknesses in 510 Pyro

I thought I'd look around as my curiosity was piqued ...

Get this! A Dispensette III Digital Bottletop Dispenser 0.2 to 2 mL costs ... ~928 Aussie dollars !!! (http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/Di...mL/EW-07878-02)

These dispensers are accurate and do not react with acids and bases. I'm sure they'd do a great job but for the price. WOW!

I wonder if there is a more financially attractive solution...

My 510 Pyro is in plastic containers. I guess I could sit the container in hot water...

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    I haven't opened the new containers yet but it occurs to me that the slightly thick stock solution might be somewhat difficult to mete out in small quantities. I use a syringe and some small diameter clear PVC tubing with PyroCat-HD...
    No it's dead easy to get exact quantities, Jay uses a pipette, but I've found a 10 ml syringe to be perfectly good for the job. I use it to suck out 5 ml of stock solution and dispense that into 200 to 300 ml of tap water and then drop the syringe into the sink for washing and add enough tap water to the working solution to make it up to 500 ml. This will easily process 1 sheet of 8x10, or 4 sheets of 4x5, or a roll of 120.

RR

45-57-617

Yes, I'm looking at pipettes - the measuring type not the transfer type. So they will work at sucking up the thicker liquid (assuming I buy a bulb for the purposes)...?

Yes, I'm looking at pipettes - the measuring type not the transfer type. So they will work at sucking up the thicker liquid (assuming I buy a bulb for the purposes)...?
    I might have been wrong about the pipette. Jay uses it for solution A in OBSIDIAN AQUA, which is not a thick liquid at all. I use a 1 ml syringe for solution A in OBSIDIAN AQUA. Syringes are fine if you use small bottles with wide enough necks to get the syringe into. I use no tubing to extend the length and "waste" the tiny dreg of stock solution that remains in the nozzle after dispensing the measured amount. I think consistency is the key here to getting predictable results.

RR

Luis

Limitations or weaknesses in 510 Pyro

I started using a 10ml pipette, but i got tired of them because they are a pita to clean with tea solutions, specially if they are equipped with a pump device

45-57-617

Well it would seem a major flaw with the 510 Pyro would be the issues around dispensing small amounts of a thicker viscosity liquid ...

I am looking online now for a supplier. I wonder how much harder again a 2ml pipette is to clean compared to a 10ml ... I see 2ml, 5ml, 10ml and 25ml variants.

Given the 510 is made at elevated temperatures I would assume one could dispense into a heated water ... or rinse the pipette in warmed water ... or elevate the 510 temp. beforehand. I can see how it becomes a PITA for sure!

I think I'll go for a borosilicate beaker along with the pipettes and heat 50ml to 100ml or so in the microwave and dispense into the heated water. I guess I could suck up the water / pyro solution into the pipette a few times to flush it too.

Its still not a biggie though. (I have to say that ... I just bought it!)

That has not been my experience and I've been using it for over five years. Continuous rotation for 4x5 and semi stand for 120....no issues with either.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikoyan View Post
    Hello
    The agitation scheme has to be "minimal" to avoid too fast oxidation, or fog can be a bit high.
    Very toxic.

I use a baby oral syringe and it couldn't be easier, the syringe is easy to clean. If you do any research you'll see many use it this way without issue.

Mike

Well it would seem a major flaw with the 510 Pyro would be the issues around dispensing small amounts of a thicker viscosity liquid ...

I am looking online now for a supplier. I wonder how much harder again a 2ml pipette is to clean compared to a 10ml ... I see 2ml, 5ml, 10ml and 25ml variants.

Given the 510 is made at elevated temperatures I would assume one could dispense into a heated water ... or rinse the pipette in warmed water ... or elevate the 510 temp. beforehand. I can see how it becomes a PITA for sure!

I think I'll go for a borosilicate beaker along with the pipettes and heat 50ml to 100ml or so in the microwave and dispense into the heated water. I guess I could suck up the water / pyro solution into the pipette a few times to flush it too.

Its still not a biggie though. (I have to say that ... I just bought it!)
    Last edited by mikebarger; 22-Jun-2014 at 05:28.

I use a 10mL pipette and clean it by flushing with hot water, it takes only a few minutes to clean.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

I am going to start using 510-Pyro as a change from Rodinal. I got supplies today with a micro scale.

510-Pyro appeals as it has good stock longevity like Rodinal. I also like simple formulae without 2 part mixing.

Seems to be little about it anywhere.

Comments?
    Tin Can