Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations of early Ansel Adams

Observations of early Ansel Adams

As I am researching for a long-term project I have been viewing historic work by many artists at the incredible Huntington Library in Pasadena, CA. The curator of photography recommended that I look at some of the early work of Ansel Adams as I try to finalize the process that I will use to create the final prints of this long term project.

Yesterday I was able to spend a couple of hours privately viewing Ansel's Parmelian Prints of the High Sierra that were gelatin silver prints produced as a portfolio in 1927. (More at http://blogs.princeton.edu/graphicar...are_parme.html)

I will be the first to say that I am not a huge fan in general of Ansel Adams. I greatly respect his vision and what he accomplished in his craft and I do enjoy seeing his work from time to time. I do also very much an appreciate the intense approach to crafting an incredible image through his process and technique.

The images from this series were printed on a light, thin paper and the image seemed to sit on top of the paper in a very pleasing manner. The paper has a very light yellow/brown tone though I'm not sure if the paper was originally like this or if it came from age.

You could see Ansel's perspective even in this very early work. The series was almost entirely sharp and extremely detailed with the exception of one pictorial style more soft and glowing style image. This struck me as odd in such a cohesive series.

What I most appreciated in this work was the art of the print. None of these were large yet they retained incredible detail. Ansel certainly had no issue allowing some of the whites to go completely white. But in the dark tones there was only one or two images where he chose to go to complete, detail-less black on an image. The dodging and burning was tastefully done without the heavy-handed halos so often seen in lesser works.

Overall it was a very educational and enjoyable experience as I continue to feed my head with approaches, ideas and quality work. Next week, very early Weston works to view. I do love this stuff.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Re: Observations of early Ansel Adams

Shouldn't this be in the "On Photography" section?

Tim, I would encourage you to read AA's autobiography (and bios of others who you are researching) before presenting his (their) work as an undergraduate museum visit exercise. Understanding the man, may help you better relate to his images as artist.

Hey Tim,

I for one would love to hear more of your experiences looking into Ansel's early work. We hear so much on this board from photographers who basically plant their tripods in those well worn holes (both literally and figuratively)--and can't understand why everyone else doesn't lionize them for it--that we all get a sort of distorted view of Ansel and his work. Sharing what you find in Ansel's early work--even if only your own reactions to that work or your thoughts on your own project as it moves forward--would be a welcome contribution. Just ignore the folks who would shout you down.

--Darin

Geeze, ROL, a little harsh? I think it's perfectly valid for Tim to share his impressions on the work he saw. He wasn't writing about what AA thought of his own work. There are certainly many ways of looking at art: trying to see it through the creator's eyes, or within it's historical context, or as someone encountering it today from a current perspective, or any combination. Should the work stand on its own or do you need to read about the artist's life to "get" it? I don't think there is any "right" answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Tim, I would encourage you to read AA's autobiography (and bios of others who you are researching) before presenting his (their) work as an undergraduate museum visit exercise. Understanding the man, may help you better relate to his images as artist.
    +1 Excellent advice!

I have always been an Ansel Adams fan and after reading his autobiography I appreciate him even more.

View Camera Magazine showcased George Tice and I just didn't get it. Later I saw a documentary on George Tice and I became a fan. I was exposed to more of his images and I also got an insight into what he was trying to do. I now understand the man and his work a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    As I am researching for a long-term project I have been viewing historic work by many artists at the incredible Huntington Library in Pasadena, CA. The curator of photography recommended that I look at some of the early work of Ansel Adams as I try to finalize the process that I will use to create the final prints of this long term project.

Yesterday I was able to spend a couple of hours privately viewing Ansel's Parmelian Prints of the High Sierra that were gelatin silver prints produced as a portfolio in 1927. (More at http://blogs.princeton.edu/graphicar...are_parme.html)

I will be the first to say that I am not a huge fan in general of Ansel Adams. I greatly respect his vision and what he accomplished in his craft and I do enjoy seeing his work from time to time. I do also very much an appreciate the intense approach to crafting an incredible image through his process and technique.

The images from this series were printed on a light, thin paper and the image seemed to sit on top of the paper in a very pleasing manner. The paper has a very light yellow/brown tone though I'm not sure if the paper was originally like this or if it came from age.

You could see Ansel's perspective even in this very early work. The series was almost entirely sharp and extremely detailed with the exception of one pictorial style more soft and glowing style image. This struck me as odd in such a cohesive series.

What I most appreciated in this work was the art of the print. None of these were large yet they retained incredible detail. Ansel certainly had no issue allowing some of the whites to go completely white. But in the dark tones there was only one or two images where he chose to go to complete, detail-less black on an image. The dodging and burning was tastefully done without the heavy-handed halos so often seen in lesser works.

Overall it was a very educational and enjoyable experience as I continue to feed my head with approaches, ideas and quality work. Next week, very early Weston works to view. I do love this stuff.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co
    Thanks for sharing Tim. Not a huge fan of Ansel either but I wouldn't mind having his print hang on my wall.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Drew Wiley

It was apparently those Parmelian prints which put AA on Stieglitz's map and lauched the better-known side of his career. I don't think if he were alive today he'd
    appreciate a bunch of backpacker kayaks floating around Thousand Island Lake while attempting to bag a shot of the lake with Banner Peak in the background. Neither would I. But this series of prints was seminal for a kind of transition point in his work, and it was certainly before his hard-nosed f/64 phase. I wouldn't term
    it still pictorial, but simply not technically what one expects of him later in life. The signature poetry to the composition and atmospheric quality to the light is pretty obvious, however.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Interesting. Albumin paper was thin, was available in tones, and the image sits on top of the paper too. Could those prints have been printed on albumin paper?

Thomas

I believe they were made on Kodak Vitava Athena Grade T Parchment paper.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy