Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet mounting workflow

Wet mounting workflow

Thanks, Phil. Do you have a Canadian distributor for Kami products? And are you aware of any published comparisons between Kami fluid mounting products and those of a Canadian company called Prazio?
    Mark McCarvill
    The miracles of creative art lie not in particular materials and methods, but in the basic concepts involved. – Ansel Adams

Wet mounting workflow

No we do not have a Canadian distributor. We can ship direct via UPS to all major Canadian city postal zones. That is where UPS has their own offices and delivery trucks. It would be great to have a Canadian distributor. In the states we have many distributors and dealers: Pitman, Ennovation, Lithco, ...... all over the country.

Yes we know Prazio very well. They were partners from the old German SDS (scanner drum service) company that then went their own way and renamed the company. Their products are somewhat differant than ours. We developed our products some years ago, because we needed a better scanning method and consumable supplies to address the best quality wth easy of clean up and use. KAMI Mounting Solution evaporates much quicker than Prazio and has nothing in it to stay on the film.

All Kami products are also anti static. So your scanner will become anti static too by use of Kami products on it. AZTEK mounting films are optically the clearest scanning material in the industry. Kami tape adhesive uniquely is not desolved by the mounting fluid. So you can tape right into the wet area of the scanner bed. When you pull the tape off it doesn't leave adhesive behind. Many scanner companies tell their customers about the use of KAMI and how it will help to improve their results.

Phil Lippincott

AZTEK
    949-770-8787
    1-800-GRAPH-55

Wet mounting workflow

Alan Huntley very kindly sent me a very informative guide on wet scanning that he wrote.
    If anyone is interested in this, please contact me by e-mail.
    In the guide he mentions that the Epson scanners are designed that the neg is held 1mm away from the glass, and that wet mounting yields a slightly less focussed image. This is more than made up for at larger scanning sizes by the reduction of surface noise.
    I was wondering if anyone has any idea about how the focus could be fixed. Could you put another layer of glass 1mm thick on top of the scanner glass?
    Would be interested to hear thoughts on this.
    Thanks to all!

Wet mounting workflow

Yaakove and Alan,

I suspect there has been a confussion created about focus on EPSON scanners. Perhaps what someone was conveying was that the field of focus is from the scanner bed up to 1 mm off the bed. This kind of focus us normal for flatbed scanners. If there is an EPSON flatbed scanner whose bed is not intended to be in focus this is a surprise to EPSON support personnel in the U.S. Also if there is any flatbed scanner model in the world whose bed is not intended to be focused on; it is very unique in deed. It clearly is not true that all EPSON scanners have optimum focus 1mm off the bed.

Best Regards

Phil Lippincott
    AZTEK
    www.aztek.com

Big Negs Rock!

Wet mounting workflow

Phil Lippincott AZTEK www.aztek.com wrote: "Also if there is any flatbed scanner model in the world whose bed is not intended to be focused on; it is very unique in deed. It clearly is not true that all EPSON scanners have optimum focus 1mm off the bed."

so why do so many flatbed scanners provide film holders that elevate the film above the surface of the glass? to avoid newton rings, i assume. but does this mean that the film is not in the optimium plane of focus? just curious, but VERY curious, because it affects my scanning!

regards,

mark
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Wet mounting workflow

I hope I can stir up so renewed interest in this thread; There are some interesting questions on the table!

I'd love to know who else is doing wet scanning with Epsons as well as where to get the supplies. I know you can order from Aztek direct but are there any dealers in the North/South Carolina area?

Thanks