Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Stop shooting film - 3 minute video

Can't Stop shooting film - 3 minute video

I found an interesting video that summarizes it pretty well.

http://www.3minutestories.com/youll-...s-3-min-video/

Re: Can't Stop shooting film - 3 minute video

very nice... and nobody died.

Bravo! Check out their Web site: http://goa-cap.com. These guys are inspired. I am enlisting!

A few notes:

1. Huh… A photograph has a front and a backside?!? Seems as though I may have been missing something artistic to do with the back of my masterpieces. I definitely need to re-think dry mounting.
    2. The choice of Indian music used in the other videos would seem more appropriate than the western twang.
    3. I'm definitely in the "turd" category of photographers.

Don't get me wrong – I'm with them. I'm just not sure how watching this video explains why no one will ever ask again why I shoot film.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    A few notes:

1. Huh… A photograph has a front and a backside?!? Seems as though I may have been missing something artistic to do with the back of my masterpieces. I definitely need to re-think dry mounting.
    2. The choice of Indian music used in the other videos would seem more appropriate than the western twang.
    3. I'm definitely in the "turd" category of photographers.

Don't get me wrong – I'm with them. I'm just not sure how watching this video explains why no one will ever ask again why I shoot film.
    Hey ROL, I made that video and people make fun of my accent all the time. So your third point is cool! Again, just because I made it in India, hardly means I must use Indian music - but may be that's how folks outside India want to see things! I am not saying this was the best music I could buy, but then given that I had no money to make this movie, I made use of whatever cheap license I could buy online! On the part where you are baffled how the 'back' of a photograph can be part of the photograph, well I guess I will say that is an individual's view. There is no right view. And the tagline of the post was more to lure people to appreciate the three categories of photographers so that those who have never shot on film, can understand at least some of the view-points of those who do! Will try doing a better job in my future work! Thanks for watching and discussing everyone!

@andrew - Actually there is a story behind why Edson says nobody died! One of the questions that I had asked him was about the harm that chemical processes may cause (one of the reasons in my opinion why people did not want to shoot on films). To that he explained to me that it was just a myth (will not go into details of how he convinced me of that). But it was in that context, that he later said 'nobody died' :P

I liked that line. Reminded of the line "no animals were harmed in the making of this film". Glad to see people in India using alt printing methods.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Amrit Vatsa, welcome to the forum! I enjoyed your short video. So the other side of the photographic print is "negative space," perhaps?

Good to see that 8x10 is in use with your group. Personally, I love that format. Too bad it's so awful to shoot hand-held!

I've been told that some people do have allergic reactions to photographic chemicals. I knew one fellow who developed skin rashes when exposed to dish soap. So, it's a good thing nobody died! But the allergies are quite uncommon.

For me, there are some very good reasons to use film instead of digital. First, in regards to the medium, it is light, time, wood, and metal. To replace the wood and metal with some plastic is the same as replacing a painting's canvas and paint with plastic. The other important thing is that the film camera equipment and process is still making good photos for decades. Digital is always supplanted by something new, because it just wasn't good enough in the first place. Who wants to use a digital camera from 1995? But quite a few here use cameras and lenses from before 1900. And the results are so wonderful!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by avatsa View Post
    Hey ROL, I made that video and people make fun of my accent all the time. So your third point is cool! Again, just because I made it in India, hardly means I must use Indian music - but may be that's how folks outside India want to see things! I am not saying this was the best music I could buy, but then given that I had no money to make this movie, I made use of whatever cheap license I could buy online! On the part where you are baffled how the 'back' of a photograph can be part of the photograph, well I guess I will say that is an individual's view. There is no right view. And the tagline of the post was more to lure people to appreciate the three categories of photographers so that those who have never shot on film, can understand at least some of the view-points of those who do! Will try doing a better job in my future work! Thanks for watching and discussing everyone!
    . All of my comments were tongue-in-cheek, front loaded with double entendre, often self effacing. Except for the "twang" – I think we all gravitate towards the exotic at the expense of the familiar. Perhaps my computer accent doesn't translate all that well. Often, the uninitiated, or anyone else for that matter, seem neither to make nor take much fun(ny) of it. Definitely, keep making videos. Don't let this one alone be the reason no one will ever ask again why I shoot film.

Quote Originally Posted by avatsa View Post
    So your third point is cool!
    Not to place too fine a point on the whole thing, but it was my turd point.
    Last edited by ROL; 31-May-2014 at 17:37.

awesome! Sounds like a wonderful thing you have going!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail