Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jobo 4x5 reels vs expert drums

jobo 4x5 reels vs expert drums

hi,

i have been wondering for a long time if there is any difference in the quality of processing between the expert drums that jobo sells and the reels for 4x5, and now 8x10 that are available on the market.

i am now using a jobo cpp with a 3010 expert drum for 4x5, but i was thinking about downsizing to the smaller jobo cpe, which saves a lot of space and does not require so much water.

would anyone be able to share their experience with both?
    how would you compare the quality of processing between the two?

one concern i had, for instance, involved the edges of the reels that might get superimposed on the film.
    or that they might retain chemicals and leave traces on the edges of the film sheet.
    or that they might require a lot more rinsing with clean water at the end, just because of that.

i know that in the 3010 jobo tank there are no retainers on the edges, and as an effect, there is no mark on the sheet of film from any sort of holding device.

thanks,

mn

Re: jobo 4x5 reels vs expert drums

here's what jobo themselves has to say about it:http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana..._vs_expert.htm

Please note the "JOBO 8x10 reel" you mentioned was produced by cat labs and not JOBO themselves.

Personally the reels are a pain in the butt, difficult to load and don't always hold the film properly, I never had a problem when I was using the MOD54 Insert but with the JOBO 2509n I've had at least 6 sheets get ruined by slipping out of the tracks and sticking to another sheet in the tank.

Personally if you want we can trade tanks and processors I'm done for that!

For smaller space you could use the Expert drum with the Jobo hand roller or a motor base. But not as easy as a real processor. A lot of threads on this topic.

I have used both the Jobo 2500/4x5 system and Jobo 3010/4x5 system. I achieved identical processing results with both. Be sure to use enough developer concentrate when mixing. I don't go below the manufacturers recommended capacity. Sometimes I go slightly over, just ensure the center of the sheets get well developed.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have the 2509N and the 3010 drum. Rotary processing 6 sheets in the 2509N gives perfect results - just as good as in the 3010. However hand inversion with the 2509N results in a loss of density on the edge of the negative that's in contact with the slot. This is due, IMO, to a reduced flow on that part of the negative when processing by the HI method which is not an issue with rotary processing.

Thomas

Thank you all for your excellent input.

I have learnt a lot from this forum, and quick, to-the-point responses like this are the reason why.

MN

Vinny, Thanks for the link. Very illuminating.

Also, I had a look at the camera you built.
    Amazing skills and beautiful result.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    here's what jobo themselves has to say about it:http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana..._vs_expert.htm
    This article addresses what I have long suspected in that the spirals in the 2509n cause an increase in the density along the edges of the negative due to the turbulence. I have also noticed that some of the postings by members on this forum show a lightening along the edges of the positive image, which I suspect is a result of using the 2509n. I also see a similar effect on my 120 films.

To counter this problem I run the rotation on the slowest speed and add more of the developer to minimize agitation in the vicinity of the spiral. This seems to produce a more acceptable negative.
    al

More developing solution is better. The 3010 can do 10 4x5's. That requires a lot of solution. If it was less than full, many developers would exhaust themselves before full development can occur. My rule is always fill the tank. I would never listen to those ridiculous rules that Jobo posts that say you can only use so much solution. You want full development for whatever time you have chosen. Adding the variable of exhaustion in there is unnecessary...

Just my opinion,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing