Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16x20 Empire

Re: 16x20 Empire

I'd get it, even without a lens. For ULF, there are two things hard to find; the camera body, and the lens. I have a lens or two now, but am looking for a camera. Many are in my shoes, and they didn't make many that large. So there will always be a market for it. I wouldn't pay a ton for it, because they are specialized, and if you don't like it, it might take a while to sell if too expensive. I'd roughly say anything below $1500 and I'd buy without question. Above, I'd start thinking about it.

I would have thought that the film holder that fit the camera would be the hardest thing to come by in ULF gear .
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by RTucker View Post
    Its part of an estate I am buying. The owner has boxes of new old stock Hasselblad, and the cool Rolleiflex sl2000, left over from a store he owned in the 80s. The empire camera will be just kind of included in the deal. The Voiglander lens if I remember said something like periwinkle on the top of the barrel.
    If you're getting a Voigtlander Steinheil's Periscope in the deal, you should make a few bucks off that too. Especially if it's the size that goes with a 16x20 Empire.

Yes it was a Voiglander 50cm Periscope lens

Since it is a 16x20, you could make backs in other sizes. Imagine a 16x20 to 11x14 back called a "reducing back". Talk about "jumbo shrimp" and "military intelligence"!

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by RTucker View Post
    Yes it was a Voiglander 50cm Periscope lens
    That may be the only one in existence in that focal length. It belongs in a museum.

A great format. I used to shoot with a 16x20 Wisner, then switched to 14x17 in order to get a nice black border on 16x20 paper. The problem is film, No more Bergger. Is there still Rollei 16x20? If so Freestyle can order some. It has a little infrared so it needs to be refrigerated.

16x20 Empire

Quote Originally Posted by bruce cahn View Post
    A great format. I used to shoot with a 16x20 Wisner, then switched to 14x17 in order to get a nice black border on 16x20 paper. The problem is film, No more Bergger. Is there still Rollei 16x20? If so Freestyle can order some. It has a little infrared so it needs to be refrigerated.
    As I posted earlier ilford is cutting 16x20 in 3 film emulsions this year, so it's available right now just don't wait, the special order ends I think the 25th of this month. Look at my past post for the links to the HP5+/FP4+/Delta100 it's not IR but I would still refrigerate at least the HP5+ since it's so expensive I would rather keep it as fresh as possible. But that's me.

I like the black border idea, thanks for that suggestion.
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 1-Jun-2014 at 15:15. Reason: spelling error

I think, as others have said, there is a good, but tiny demand for that camera right here.

However, if you aren't going to shoot it, don't restore it for profit as there will be none. This ULF business is more for love than money these days. We are a small group.

Price the film and see if you still like it.

Try the Rollei film if they still make it. It is much better than the Ilford. For holders you can get them made by Lotus or Brubaker.