Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: photographs

photographs

The sad thing is - Dan's post was serious... :-)

there have been more than a good few "where can I find Ansel's tripod holes" threads on here in the past...

Then there is Mark Klett who is re-photographing the original re-photographic survey image sites. I wonder how long you can keep that up.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

photographs

Look listen and wait. When it is right take it. Pdw.

photographs

Dan - I can understand your frustration, but I believe it has been proven that Jackalopes are now extinct, even though stuffed ones pop up anew from time to time. Personally, I continue to scour the Sierras looking for the famed saber-toothed squirrelesaurus rex.

photographs

1. Be lucky and have beautiful and cooperative children that you love to photograph.

2. Have a husband who has an Austin Healey that he loves photographs of that keep me trying to come up with something new and creative.

3. Have a dog who loves to hike with you and doesn't get bored while you set up a shot.

4. Travel - if not long distance, see everything there is to see within a days drive of your house. Look at small details along with seeing the big picture. We live an hour or so from the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville, AL. They have the most fantastic door handles on one of their buildings. They made a great picture. Likewise, my favorite pictures from a trip to a recent Chilhuly glass exhibit, are the ones that are very tightly cropped and show just a small area of detail in the glass rather than the whole piece.

5. Experiment with techniques that you see other people do, but adapt them to the subject matter that interests you.

6. And for me, don't look at TOO many other photographs done by other people before you go out. For some reason, it lessens my creative instincts.

photographs

Science Fiction writer Barry Longyear once gave an answer when someone asked where he got his story ideas: "From a post office box in Schenectady."

Fortunately, photo ideas come from a different P.O. box, this one in Rochester.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D