Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air conditioner

Re: air conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Check this out. One advantage is that a refrigerating type rather than an ice-chest cooler also dries the air.
    Has anyone used one of these? I need a/c for my new darkroom and studio area, looked like an interesting idea. I am concerned about how loud these things are as well as air velocity out the vent.

Quote Originally Posted by brucetaylor View Post
    Has anyone used one of these?.
    We had several of those units as back-up cooling for our server farm and they worked well, but expensive compared to a competent central AC system.

Speaking to a realistic personal level, I will report later. Our home central AC failed to the extent that a major, impossible replacement is necessary.

I am considering a small unit or two for the house.

No such needed for the darkroom in which heating is the issue. It is a Minnesota thing.

Jac, I would be most interested in your report. The high temperatures I will be dealing with in the darkroom are new to me, the last time I had a darkroom was over 30 years ago, 2 blocks from San Francisco Bay and temps over 70 degrees almost never happenned. Now in Los Angeles I can expect many days over 100, and I'm going to need to come up with a water chilling scheme as well. A whole studio a/c system is not an option for me either.

Les

After running away to the coast whenever mid 80's or 90's pop up here (occasionally 100+) I sprung up and got a unit similar to what Jac suggested. I can roll it from my office to bdrm, etc., and mount it in the window and I'm comfy. The unit has a build in heater and dehumidifier built in, and good portion of the time the A/C does not need to be on as the duhumido takes out the moisture. Anyway, now I can take more planned excursions to the ocean instead them being forced on me.

Les

Consider a split unit A/C unit. Most of the working parts are outside, they are very quiet, and you only have to make about a 4" hole in the wall for the wires and tubing.

The thing you have to remember is that with the portable AC units or anything that is a dehumidifier you have to drain the water it takes out of the air somewhere. Usually it collects in a basin in the unit or has a connection to use a garden hose to a drain. Not so tough in a darkroom but it does need to be accounted for.

Just a question: might static electricity be a problem in a darkroom in which is refrigeration unit is used to cool the air?

Do a search for free standing air conditioner. There are many varieties, the one's that are two-hose are far more efficient (and usually more expensive). Costco has them, and so does Amazon... You need very little to heat that space...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I think I am going to be using either a freestanding unit or window type installed in a wall. The disadvantage of the free standing types is that they take up floor space, which is limited in my darkroom. Later I will look into the spot a/c unit, it will help in both the studio and office areas. I wish I could just drop the $5k it would take to do the whole space, but that's out of the question unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbiinc View Post
    The thing you have to remember is that with the portable AC units or anything that is a dehumidifier you have to drain the water it takes out of the air somewhere. Usually it collects in a basin in the unit or has a connection to use a garden hose to a drain.
    If you keep the unit clean, the water is good for chemistry, rinsing, etc..