Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

"It was an outdoor panty" BAW HAW HA HA! Sorry Brian but I couldn't resist.

With such a small space I am VERY concerned about ventilation! You will need forced air to stay alive and healthy in that space and that means a FAN either forcing air into or out of your space. Also, in such a small space, the fumes from you chemicals can get pretty serious without good air movement. Once you have forced air movement, now temperature control can become an issue unless you are getting you air supply from an area that's temperature controlled.

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

For good ventillation, you need two light tight air flows, one in and one out. Otherwise, your ventillation won't be that good.

Octogenarian

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

Hi Mark,

My first darkroom, in 1946, was about 3x5 feet in size. I built it in a basement storage closet. A laundry tub with running water was nearby, right outside the door. If I remember correctly (it's been close to sixty years) my biggest challenge was getting the room to be completely light tight. I was able to fit myself, along with all of my darkroom equipment, into that tiny space. However, at that time, I was using a small 2x3 Federal enlarger and 5x7 trays. Also, I was a scrawny 16 year old kid, weighing about 100 pounds. I doubt that I could fit my present 4x5 enlarger, 16x20 trays, and other necessary equipment into a space that small. And yes, I now weigh twice as much, and I'm not scrawny anymore.

My advice, if you are planning on doing large format processing and printing, find a larger space to build your darkroom. One with running water, ventillation, and a drain. In lieu of that, use Polaroid Type 55 P/N film, scan the negatives, and print them digitally. You won't even need a darkroom for that.

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I think the ventilation problem will be solved. There is a vent in the space that hooks to the fan from the adjacent bathroom next door. I can also make it light tight. The sink and running water is 3 feet outside the door, so running water and a sink is convenient.

The biggest issue I see is whether I can fit a 4x5 enlarger into the space along with the trays and other goodies I would need.

Yes, I guess I can go digital, but that was not my original plan. However, I will have to determine the heighth and width of the enlarger. If it is tall, then I may have a height problem.

A last note, geting rid of the wife is not an option. She is a great photography fan, owns as many cameras as I do, and has put up with me for all of these years. When I wanted the F4, she never flinched. When I wanted the medium format set up she never asked a question. And when the 4x5 stuff started showing up, she just smiled.

This forum is a great place, keep up the great advice.

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

Mark, unless you have one of the big floor-standing enlargers, I dont think it's size will be too much of an issue. I just purchased an old omega D2 4x5 enlarger, and it doesnt take up any more space than my beseler 67.

I have a larger darkroom, but my real issue I've had to deal with is clutter. Paper safes, easels, contact printers, photo wipes, lens brushes, dodge/burn tools, grain focusser, books, etc, etc.

To keep my wife happy my darkroom has also become my dumping ground for all my parts and projects. ...OK, now im inspired to go clean my darkroom.

Craigclu

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

You might consider a slot processor... Very small footprint. I've not used one but was looking into them at one time and found that people who used them had good results and seemed to promote their use to others.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...65&Q=&O=NavBar

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

I just found the website with the compact darkroom. The homepage takes forever to load, but it's worth the wait.

This unit even incorporates a table-top studio as well. Wonder if I could get a french-fry cooker as an option?

http://thzig.freeyellow.com/

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

That is just plain beautiful. The sliding trays are brilliant. If Santa brought one, I might even get back into the chemistry...

Geos

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

In my last apartment, I had my 8x10 enlarger setup in a closet, with barely enough room to ingress or egress. I was able to make up to 20x24 prints without too much work. Once the print was exposed, I put it into a light tight tube and processed it in the kitchen on a roller-type processor. I think that I could have made 32x40s if I projected on the floor and processed in the bathroom, but I never got a chance to try.

Darkroom in 3ftx5ft?

You might find it easier to just do your film work in the closet and your printing out in the garage, where a little light leak here and there would not be that significant.