Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another digital casualty

Another digital casualty

Slightly off-topic, but it seems like there is another casualty of the unexpectedly rapid growth of digital. Hasselblad seems to have announced they are laying off staff, phasing out the V film cameras and concentrating on digital cameras.

for those can can read Swedish better than me (my grandmother is Swedish, but I only have a smattering)

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=113&a=185270

Another digital casualty

Dan,

LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Between here and there

Another digital casualty

Yeah, the article says another 60 persons have to go, on top of the earlier 175. There'll be 70 persons left, doing product developments in fine mechanics and final fit of the new digital cameras. Everything that's based on film will be discountinued, as far as I understand it. Whether the Xpan remains, I don't know, but the medium format has had its final run, it seems. They'll raise the prices and no discounts will be given anymore.

Ho-hum. Never was a Hasselblad guy, but it feels sad to pass over the bridge (I live in Gothenburg) and see that Hasselblad logo and knowing almost nothing is left except an empty brand, filled with asian electronics.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Another digital casualty

The press release regarding layoffs isn't up on the hasselbladusa.com site yet, and I don't read Swedish at all, so I can't comment on that aspect. The digital handwriting was already on the Hasselblad walls, however, when they merged with Imacon. It's only natural (and smart) for the company to respond to the market demand for digital - especially considering that portraiture, weddings, and fashion photography had been the mainstay for Hasselblad for years. Many (most?) portraiture, wedding and fashion shooters have already switched to GirlieMan digitals, so why not try to re-capture some of their traditional market?

Another digital casualty

First of all...i am well aware of the traditional square format for fine art and nature, but for Hasselblad, the real deal is in the fashion and commerce photography. Due the foramt off magazines and posters, the 645 format is much more convinient. Smaller cameras, smaller lenses etc. The large 22mp digital sensor also fits this format much better.

The traditional V system will not be discontinued. Its true they are laying of people, but thats only because Fuji is making their prime product (sales-wise) in Japan.

i have been working with the V system, and its good, but my Contax 645 is better, and have been "suffering" at least the same haevy use in my work as a nature photographer.

Hasselblad is evolving, change is good......

Another digital casualty

FWIW, Martin, I've always thought of my Hassy as a 645 that didn't have to be physically rotated, as the 645 aspect ratio can be cropped from 6x6 in either direction. Only on rare occasions have I used the full 6x6 square - when the subject demanded the square composition. So, while the Contax and Pentax guys were still fiddling with their cameras, I already had my shot. And, there ain't nothin like syncing fill flash outdoors at 1/500. ;-) But, I agree that evolution is a good thing for Hasselblad.

Another digital casualty

My contact at Hasselblad USA has asked the factory for clarification of the news release. So before you leap to any conclusions you might wantto rein in your horse.

Another digital casualty

Like Leicas, there are so many used Hasselblad 500 bodies that even if they ceased production today, it wouldn't matter for our lifetimes. When you can buy a mint hassy outfit on eBay for a third of the new price, why would anybody buy new?

Another digital casualty

The article says that Hasseblad is about to end the production of film based cameras. They lose money on each film based camera. Prises on this kind of cameras will be higher now. The digital camera types will need to be renewed every few months...

Another digital casualty

"Why not a square AF with an optional 645 back?"

Because Fuji doesn't have a design for it

Guy