Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 4x5 camera for field work with a 90mm lens?

Joel Edmondson

Re: Which 4x5 camera for field work with a 90mm lens?

I have to agree with jbenedict... for 90mm with a flat board the Calumet Wide-Angle is hard to beat! It is short enough and light enough to handle without too much aggravation, handles up to a 210mm (with a reversed recessed lensboard) and can be had for little money.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    I have to agree with jbenedict... for 90mm with a flat board the Calumet Wide-Angle is hard to beat! It is short enough and light enough to handle without too much aggravation, handles up to a 210mm (with a reversed recessed lensboard) and can be had for little money.

Joel
    A "reversed recessed board" would be an extension board.

multiplex

i have and use a chrome super angulon ( 90 ) and a 1980s vintage 65m super angulon
    on my speed, they are both great on that camera .. never had trouble ( 4-6 years )
    and use them often ..

Sell the fuji, get a Nikkor 90/8. It's smaller, sharper, has at least as much coverage, and will mount with no issues on the SG.

Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post
    ] I won't be using any other lenses with this setup, only the Fujinon SWD 90mm/f5.6. The main camera requirements are that it should have ample rise and some shift, that it should be portable
    Just about any 'modern' field camera should be able to use that lens. You might also consider a 'wide angle' field camera, like the Titan, the TFC45-IIB or SW45.

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely give the SG - Fujinon 90mm/f5.6 combo a try before I start checking other cameras. It's just that the wide-angle lack of movements is kinda frustrating.

I also have a Omega (Toyo) View 45D for studio work, and I am not really comfortable carrying such a huge camera outdoors. However, I do have lots of lensboards (as well as a SG-Toyo View adapter) for this camera, so maybe I could look for a short-rail bag-bellows version of it.

The Wista 45 also looks nice, and there's a couple of them on eB*y right now.

What I ultimately want is an easy-to-carry-and-setup camera that can give me as much rise as the lens allows.

About the Angulon - it's a very nice compact lens, but on the few times I used it below f/22 I got soft corners, and it also doesn't allow any kind of rise. I bought the Fujinon for its big image circle and for the f5.6 (easier to compose and focus, even indoors). No point in selling it for a f/8 lens right now - plus I'm in Europe, where buying and selling such things is harder than the US.

Another reason to sell it is the Nikkor 90/8 will fold up inside the SG. (and even inside a Crown graphic, if you notch the rails for the front element. )

My choice is the Ebony 45S, a non folding camera that takes a 90mm on a flat board.