Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dip n' dunk 4x5

Dip n' dunk 4x5

Currently I'm using Mod 54 to develop my 4x5 B/W, C41 and E6. And trays to develop my 5x7 and 8x10 B/W. I'd like to standardize on tanks and racks for all 3 formats. I used them before but came across some surge marks that I'd rather not revisit if possible.

Does anybody know a good hanger to eliminate the surge marks?
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Re: Dip n' dunk 4x5

The kodak hangers work fine. It's your agitation technique which is the problem. Very little movement is required to put fresh developer in contact with the film.

LAst time I used dip and dunk it was whit 5x7 and I had some surge marks on my film. I thought I went slow enough, but maybe I should lift and dunk it a little slower?
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

I use the Kodak hangers for 8x10 and 4-up 4x5. I have not had uneven development problems, I subscribe to Vinny's theory, "Very little movement is required to put fresh developer in contact with the film." I rock the tank moderately for agitation, works for me.

Go faster, not slower. The marks (AKA "bromide drag") are caused by exhausted developer remaining in contact with the emulsion for too long and producing a localized restraining effect.

When I agitate, I pull the hangers completely out of the solution and tilt to one side to drain, and put them back in in the tank. Next cycle I do the same, tilting to the opposite side, and so on, just like Adams recommends in The Negative, and I haven't had any problems with surge marks.

I agitate in a similar manner as David with no surge marks. In my processing I agitate once every minute and this takes about 7 to 10 seconds to complete.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

hacker extraordinaire

I used to use kodak hangers and never found the magic agitation technique that always gave even development. I went back to tray processing.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I found hangers to be developer dependent. Replenished XTOL worked fine, but they did not get on with Pyrocat. Since I really want to use Pyrocat I now use a Slosher.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Plus one
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Go faster, not slower. The marks (AKA "bromide drag") are caused by exhausted developer remaining in contact with the emulsion for too long and producing a localized restraining effect.

When I agitate, I pull the hangers completely out of the solution and tilt to one side to drain, and put them back in in the tank. Next cycle I do the same, tilting to the opposite side, and so on, just like Adams recommends in The Negative, and I haven't had any problems with surge marks.

Vanannan

I use nitrogen burst agitation for sheet film, perfectly even negs every time