Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hacking a Sinar to Linhof Adaptor on to an old Arca Lens Board

Re: Hacking a Sinar to Linhof Adaptor on to an old Arca Lens Board

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    I sold mine for £50 to Kings Lynn, UK, just last week but it is a pretty easy adaptation anyway.
    There are also some good HK/Chinese adapters on eb*y.
    My old Arca-B is now a heady mix of B and F anyway (with a Canham back thrown in) and I too use Linhof/Toyo/Nikon/Fujinon/Wista/NSE/unbranded boards. (Should we just call them LTW boards from now on?)
    Aye, should be nice and simple just a bit of work roughing out the hole.
    It is a nice camera, I can see why you've added to it over time. I wonder at what point it stops being a Model B and starts being triggers camera.
    They do seem to be the closest to standardisation I've seen since M42.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    Hi Steve, as it was me that suggested the adaption I will say that it's very easy to do and works really well.

The hard part for you will be getting the hole bored out to a useable size, on a Plaubel I did it with a drill and jigsaw as I wanted to make a square hole to allow a step in the adapter board to fit which gave a greater degree of light-proofing.

The second time I did it I did it as I suggested to you with the enlarging of the hole in the lens board, the adapter (which had a flat back) was fitted with some grey stick on foam window insulation around the inside edge, this was then riveted to the lensboard with a rivet in each corner, worked great.

I disagree with the statement about the Karden board, the Sinar ones are plentiful and 'cheap' and will do all you require quite easily and well.

Front after adaption:

Rear after adaption:

This is brilliant and I wish I'd seen it sooner. £36 for an adapter off of eBay and away you go. I've just ordered one. It will be a strong solution too, making big heavy lenses safer to fit...

RR

Cut a nice square hole for the adaptor, the foam was a total pain in the whatsits. I had some thick stuff from wikes I thought would do the job. It ended up being way too thick and cutting it down was not happening. The thin foam I had was too thin to go in the trough so placed it between the lens board and adaptor. The epoxy hasn't dried yet but I think it's interfering with the epoxy and I don't know how well joined the two parts are but at the moment you can see the foam compress when I put weight on the adaptor.

With hindsight, I'd not have bothered with the foam or at least found a piece of foam designed stuff to fit in the slot.

Steve, that was the advantage of riveting the two boards, as the rivets compressed the foam between the two boards when they were fitted. The foam I used was about 5mm wide by 3mm thick and you could compress it easily with your fingers.

I am sure your solution will be fine, at least you will have a greater love for your camera when it has 'a little bit of you' in it.

Aye, I was reconsidering the epoxy about half way through applying it! But I'd just been out to buy new stuff, after the last stuff had been accidentally binned, and was getting pig headed. I have form for that...