Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are additional lens elements made and kept as stock?

Are additional lens elements made and kept as stock?

The title of this is probably confusing, what I'm asking is simple, the fact is they aren't making any more large-format lenses in general, the lenses that I plan to use for a very long time will include the full fujinon C lineup (300, 450, 600) and possibly the Nikon 150 sw.

In preparation for shooting these for many many years, I was thinking perhaps it would be prudent to purchase an additional front lens element and rear lens element just in case they were to get severely scratched somehow.

I do not think it makes sense to actually buy a whole lens, as by the time that I'm going to be scratching one of these lenses I probably will need to send it out for a CLA anyway. So why not just pick up just the front lens element and rear lens element pieces and store them "just in case".

Do stock of these kinds of lens elements exist somewhere? That's my question.

I think it would be a waste to have to buy a double set of each lens just to be sure I could use them for the next 80 years (yep I plan to live a long life and hope ilford will be around then hah!

Anyone know?

Re: Are additional lens elements made and kept as stock?

No. In fact, while Rodenstock will sell front and rear elements as a set they will not ship them without having first also mounted them into a shutter or a lens mount as that is the only way that they can be sure that the lens performs to factory spec. Factory spec performance is not a DIY job.

And largwe format lenses are still in production, just not very many are. In Rodenstock's case the 135, 150 and 210mm Apo Sironar S and the 120 APO MAcro Sironar are current production lenses.

I dropped a lens in Convict lake once. We fished it out with two ski poles. Good as new once dried out. I keep step up rings on all my lenses which don't have 82mm threads. Lens falls, step up ring hits fiirst. I don't have a uv filter on any lens I own and I've never scratched one. I RARELY clean a lens. A lens needs a pretty severe scratch to ruin an image in most cases if it's wearing the proper shade. Even if these extra elements were available, how much do you have to spend? Have you seen factory prices on brand new lenses in shutters? That'll give you an idea. Kinda like buying a car, piece by piece.
    Stock up on velvia instead.

So basically I should plan to stock up and buy duplicates of everything for the long haul haha. Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So basically I should plan to stock up and buy duplicates of everything for the long haul haha. Good to know!
    Or take care of what you do have and get a full replacement insurance policy for them just in case.

Don't stock up now. Demand will continue to drop and prices will follow accordingly. Buy when needed.

Better to stock up on film and paper.

If you buy an extra backup lens then you'll get a backup shutter too. Barring impact damage, the shutter is likely to fail before the lens elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    If you buy an extra backup lens then you'll get a backup shutter too. Barring impact damage, the shutter is likely to fail before the lens elements.
    That's something that I was thinking as well.

Also to the demand and supply comment, I think certain lenses will become more expensive as they are "better" in unique ways, the ones I've chosen are all special lenses and I would guess "future classics" and that's my concern, having to find them when others will not let them go. I mean, I still haven't ever actually seen the 600mm C lens anywhere ... I can't even find a picture of it, it's so rare in my eyes. I'm worried about even being able to find one.

Hell, just give up photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Hell, just give up photography.
    That's ridiculous. I guess you could take up drawing then:http://raquelokyay.com/wp-content/up...re-horse-2.jpg