Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiltall owners... is this normal?

Tiltall owners... is this normal?

I just got a Leitz Tiltall and when I loosen the central column lock the whole column assembly including the head is very loose. Please see brief video at:

https://vidd.me/v/jdH

Having never owned a Tiltall, I was wondering if this is normal? And if not, any idea on how to go about a fix? Thanks.

Re: Tiltall owners... is this normal?

It's not normal. My Leitz Tiltall has a felt liner inside the column guide that reduces, but not completely eliminates, play. You might try a strip of felt maybe 1/2 or one inch wide around the inside of the guide. Hobby or fabric stores might have suitable felt.

I agree with Jim, but would suggest two strips, one near the top of the inner sleeve and another near the bottom so that you try to eliminate any play throughout the length.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

No it's not normal. Mine has slight normal play around the collar when loosened but nothing like yours. You had me curious so I took mine apart and hopefully found your problem.

Unscrew the piece that screws in at the bottom of your center column so you can remove the center column from the tripod. Look down the tube that your center column fits into. On mine, around the bottom of the inside of the tube is some tape that is fuzzy on one side. It acts as a bushing and keeps the center column centered in the tube and without excess play.

I don't know if the tape is original or replaced an earlier bushing but I'm sure you can find something to make the tube slightly smaller in diameter at the bottom.

I hope this helps.

Also...be careful putting the tube back in when you have the tape installed - it wants the catch on the rim of the tube, but with care it will fit. The trick will be finding the right product to use. (Mine's a bit over 30 years old now, with accumulated battle scars, but is still my go-to tripod for formats less than 4x5. (though I've used it with a 4x5 Technika on still days for brief exposures with no issues)

David is right about the column catching on the felt. Try beveling the top edge of the felt to guide the column through it.

Here is a good resource site for Tiltall tripods, he used to sell the bushing
    http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/

There is a link of the right to replacement parts.

His blog shows someone using a piece of 35mm canister to make a bushing
    http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/2...-bush-for.html

Interesting thread.
    My Leitz Tiltall is now approaching 40 years old and seems just as perfect as the day I bought it, (except for the gooie little pad on top which there doesn't seem any replacement for).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Bill,

I have replaced the camera pad with a circle cut from deer hide leather (as I have done with all my tripods and camera stands) and glued with contact cement. Absolutely the best stuff I've ever found for a camera pad and it stays in place forever.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thanks, Tim.
    A camera pad needs to be soft, but not bouncy, (like a rubber disc). A pad which will compress and resume it's shape until AFTER it's been released would be ideal -- your deer hide leather is probably a good thing (where do I get such things?). The Leitz squishy pad was perfect, but unfortunately eventually self-destructed.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)