Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Professional Endura Premier Paper

Traditional Color Printer

Re: Kodak Professional Endura Premier Paper

Short answer because away from real computer:
    I hear you but, to me, how things are done matters as much as the result. So as long as I can get away with it, I will...

Andrej Gregov

Drew, thanks for the notes on Ektar. You mentioned shooting with color temp in mind as well as some tricks printing. Would love to hear any tips you have. I'd like to give the film another try.

Drew Wiley

I pretty much have the Ektar thing pegged, just no time at the moment to do any color printing. Slowly... and I mean slowly, trying to work out Portra interneg
    protocol at the moment. Lots of house and lab maintenance projects this summer, plus travel plans. Backpacking season soon.

I have witnessed both ends of the spectrum and still operate a wet lab as well as Lambda and inkjet.

Few observations,,

C41 process can accept all film manufactures this has been the norm for over 30 years.
    Fuji has pretty much taken over the market due to Kodaks bumbling and not because of a superior product.

The most siginificant change in paper over the last 20 years is the speed increase to be acceptable to laser and Led exposing units.(this has been incredible and is the norm for BW paper as well)
    Under an enlarger the colour Papers are extremely fast compared to the papers of the 80's as well a different colour visually pre process.
    I see very little reason to print RA4 colour using an enlarger these days, but I do not think that lesser quality is the norm for enlarger prints using modern papers, but
    there could be some issues finding the right paper for enlarger work.

Drew Wiley

I miss the convenience of cut sheet in bigger sizes. Not a huge issue, but with my fingers getting distinctly arthritic, handling big expensive rolls in the dark is done
    rather cautiously. Night vision goggles? The other thing that people might find annoying is the more limited selection of contrast levels. I prefer to mask anyway if
    needed, and get exactly what I want, though this might seem inconvenient to those unfamiliar with it. Plus the sheet film cost. But it's certainly not always needed. Contrast can also be pegged just by the appropriate film choice, though this always comes with some shift in hue, saturation, etc. Another reason to learn masking.
    You can have your cake and eat it too. And no need to scan. But workflow is largely a matter of personal preference and what equip is OH. I prefer the darkroom.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Kodak C-41 is not identical with Fuji CN-16, Konica CNK-4, or Agfa AP-70. The C-41 process is the same for all C-41 films but different manufacturers' processing chemistries vary slightly. Shouldn't this difference in the chemistries explain the variances noted above?

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Nope. Not unless someone really screwed up.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

That doesn't sound right to me. If you change the volume or make-up of the chemistry you will change the result. Those chemistries were formulated to give a desired result with their own film and not with another's.

Thomas

Traditional Color Printer

That's what my test told me... And all the lab guys (and the Fuji chem tech) thought it made perfect sense (of course, they're all french too...).
    But believe me, I'd much prefer if the C41 and RA4 recipies were absolutly identical no matter what company makes them.
    Just for the hell of it, I'm gonna try to do the same test again but, this time, with Kodak Premier paper, see if I end up with a green haze when processed in Fujuice...

Very interested in seeing your results, Mups.