Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Neophyte In Boston, Mass.

LF Neophyte In Boston, Mass.

Hello All,

My name is John. I've just bought my first LF camera this past week; a Sinar Alpina with Schneider 210mm Symmar S lens from a friend. I've also picked up a Calumet C2 roll film holder. I've been taking photos off and on since before I got my first camera in 1973-a Polaroid Swinger Model 20 (Before that I used my father's Land Camera 100). My father worked at Polaroid for 40 years so we were an instant film family. In the early 80s I got a Ricoh KR5 and shot mostly Kodachrome-I'm still in mourning! I was never happy with the B&W I shot, I never got those rich blacks that I longed for. Years later I found out why, I was metering wrong. I eventually fell out of the hobby for the most part.

A few years ago when I got a new job which brought me in contact with some younger art focused people I was inspired to pick up a camera again. I've been using nothing but older all-manual cameras; a couple of SLRs-a Canon TX and two Nikon FM2's a few long and short lens, a bunch old funky viewfinder and rangefinder cameras Argus A-1's and C3's and Ansco or two, an Agfa Memar a couple of Kodak 35's and the like. I also took the medium format plunge with a couple of TLRs; a Ciroflex Model E, a Super Ricoflex, and a folder an early Ensign Selflex 420. I also picked up a Land Camera 100, just like the one my Father had when I was a kid. Mostly, what I suppose many would call junk cameras but they are great fun. They have helped spark my interest in photography all over again. These are simple sturdy cameras for the most part, one I can open up and tinker with and usually put back together. Along with some mostly yellow and amber filters, a trusty GE DW-68, a grey card and a few photography books I've learned more and improved more in the last couple of years than in the twenty years previous to that. My biggest problem right now is not knowing how to develop the film and not getting it processed fast enough to remember what I did or didn't do most of the time. I do take notes and it helps a bit. You can see scans of some of my early stuff and a few of my newer Polaroid adventures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/77461661@N04/sets/

I've always been fascinated by large format and the work of the great photographers who worked in the medium, but I always figured it would be too expensive and way over my head technically speaking, but after talking with a few LF photographers I work with I've decided to take the LF plunge. I was leaning toward a field camera but since I mostly photograph architecture; after several conversations with more experienced photographers, a monorail camera seemed the better choice for Boston's narrow winding streets.

I have loads of questions and I'm sure I'll have loads more once I get out there and start shooting.

Pax,
    John

Re: LF Neophyte In Boston, Mass.

Welcome to the forum, John.

Welcome - there quite a few of members who live in the area, New England etc.

Hi John,

Welcome! I'm right across the river in Somerville, definitely lots of good architecture in Boston. Where are you planning on shooting?

Noah

Welcome! A Sinar Alpina is a pretty nice rig. Used accessories aren't really expensive anymore and there are features of Sinar cameras which are pretty cool. But, for now, load up and make some photos!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Noah, I thought I'd start with something simple a test roll of 120 or two in a local park (I really wanted to head out today but the weather isn't co-operating. It rarely does when I get a new camera!) After that I thought some shots of the Ether Monument in the Public Garden and an afternoon on Comm. Ave.; plenty of room to set-up and play around as I learn the adjustments. I also want to head out to Ft. Independence on Castle Island, but that might have to wait until I get a proper tripod. Eventually I hope to photograph a lot of the Downtown Crossing area, the Financial District around Liberty Sq. and the Boston Wharf Co. buildings-even though I doubt a single one remains which hasn't been "rehabbed" remains other than the one on Summer St. which burned recently.

Even before I decide to take the LF leap I decided I want to try some model and portraiture with my medium format cameras, so that's something I might end up doing with the Sinar instead. That might need a different lens. I'm also planning on getting a wider lens eventually, I figure I'll need it with Boston's narrow streets.

Pax,
    John B.

Well-I gave it a go this afternoon with my flimsy old tripod. I definitely need a heftier one!

First off-loading the film holders was easier than I thought it would be. I had some out-dated color Fulifilm I got with the camera. I did have some trouble with the Calumet C2. I had to open it up and reload it in the dark.

With the 120 film in the 4x5 you really feel its limitations with the lens. I suppose with a really wide lens you might get more from the combination of large format camera and medium format film.

I basically used the afternoon to play around with the camera movements; even with the short time I had I was amazed at what I could to-and I know I've only scratched the surface. My main screw-up today was getting so caught-up in dealing with the lens and aperture and accounting for the extension of the bellows that I didn't notice I was using the wrong setting on my meter! I took at least three shots based on readings with the cover of the meter opened while it was actually closed. I can tell I'm going to want a wider lens for shooting downtown eventually. I've got a long way to go, but it felt right. I felt at ease with the camera even as a total rookie.

I thought I'd have a very difficult time with the image being upside down but it wasn't a problem, maybe using TLRs helped me adapt.

Pax,
    John B.

Sounds good! I was out earlier today and the wind was awful. Yesterday was much better for pictures. Glad its going well!

Welcome! Another boston guy

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Now if only the weather would warm-up here in Boston!

Fellow Baystaters, are there any LF photography groups around the Boston area geared specifically toward rookies?

Pax,
    John B.