Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: universal iris for V8 dorff

universal iris for V8 dorff

i have a large universal iris for my 2D camera but i need one for my V8 dorff

does anybody know what the biggest universal iris that will fit on a 6x6 deardorff board?
    they seem to be very small and i need one with a large opening for my lenses.

thanks

Re: universal iris for V8 dorff

I do not know what is the largest, but I have one that opens to 3.85" (98mm) I bought from eddie, that fits onto the V8 board with little room to spare. Not looking at parting with it though...

Of course the other issue with the Deardorff V8 is with the lens axis tilt, you get enough weight out in front of the lensboard, and you get a front tilt, whether you wanted it or not. Fabricated a couple of "L" brackets to control that...

I have one which fits on a Deardorf 6"board if the mounting wings are oriented toward the corners of the board. NO, it isn't for sale.

Here is what mine looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens Clamp.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	113904

Kodak 2D 8x10 lens boards and Deardorff 8x10 lens boards are the same size, except for the Deardorff's rounded corners. Unless you have a military V8 that accepts square 2D lens boards.

Always up for a challenge, I tackled this a few years back and came up with a pretty neat setup, sent it to Adam at SK Grimes and when it came back, I was very pleased with the outcome. This system works quite well not only for mounting lenses using the iris flange on a V8, but also large and heavy lenses I on the P8.

Here is what you see in the attached picture, in order of stacking sequence:

1. A universal iris flange mount, opening about 125mm
    2. The 1st SKG adapter which mounts the iris flange to a set of male threads
    3. The 2nd SKG adapter with timed, corresponding female threads that the iris flange adapter mounts into, which is then attached to an SKG Sinar lens board
    4. This SKG Sinar lens board "sandwich" is then mounted into a Sinar Auto Aperture shutter
    5. The thicker "sandwich" with the Sinar Auto Aperture shutter is then mounted into the Deardorff V8 front standard with a Sinar-to-Deardorff lens board adapter

The picture is worth a thousand words - so it can be done, and it does work well. Definitely a buy-once, cry-once affair.

carver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L1060153.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by carverlux View Post
    Always up for a challenge, I tackled this a few years back and came up with a pretty neat setup, sent it to Adam at SK Grimes and when it came back, I was very pleased with the outcome. This system works quite well not only for mounting lenses using the iris flange on a V8, but also large and heavy lenses I on the P8.

Here is what you see in the attached picture, in order of stacking sequence:

1. A universal iris flange mount, opening about 125mm
    2. The 1st SKG adapter which mounts the iris flange to a set of male threads
    3. The 2nd SKG adapter with timed, corresponding female threads that the iris flange adapter mounts into, which is then attached to an SKG Sinar lens board
    4. This SKG Sinar lens board "sandwich" is then mounted into a Sinar Auto Aperture shutter
    5. The thicker "sandwich" with the Sinar Auto Aperture shutter is then mounted into the Deardorff V8 front standard with a Sinar-to-Deardorff lens board adapter

The picture is worth a thousand words - so it can be done, and it does work well. Definitely a buy-once, cry-once affair.

carver
    And, the cost for all parts and machining?

i bought a century camera that had an large iris on it. i bought a metal C1 board and got my local metal shop to drill the holes for the lens and the screws. cost $40 for the service and it works great.

just curious, are the blades usually black or silver?

Name: ______William Booth

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    And, the cost for all parts and machining?
    Let me second this request... Beautiful setup, btw.