Thread: Caltar II S 135mm F5.6 a convrtible?

Caltar II S 135mm F5.6 a convrtible?

I have just looked up close at a lens i have been playing around with for a while and just noticed a second aperture line.
    One is a scale for 135mm F5.6 and right above it is another scale for 400mm F14. So - which of the elements creates the 400mm focal legnth - the front or the real?

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: Caltar II S 135mm F5.6 a convrtible?

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    I have just looked up close at a lens i have been playing around with for a while and just noticed a second aperture line.
    One is a scale for 135mm F5.6 and right above it is another scale for 400mm F14. So - which of the elements creates the 400mm focal legnth - the front or the real?
    Keep the front one screwed in. This lens is a rebadged Rodenstock Sironar.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Scratch that - just read this:
    http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00FL9i

Looks like the front cell gives about 400mm but not as sharp.

Are you sure it's not a Caltar S-II? I don't believe there was ever a Caltar II-S. The Calumet naming conventions are very confusing and in between the Caltar Type Y, Caltar Type S, Caltar II-N and Caltar II-E which (from memory) were all made by Rodenstock there is the Caltar-S II which was made by Schneider and was a rebadged Symmar-S. If it is a Caltar-S II then the second focal length would probably be 235mm f12, although the Symmar-S wasn't optimised to be convertible. If it is just a plain Type-S then the diagnosis of Rodenstock Sironar and 400f14 would be correct. BTW there is also a Series S Caltar and a Caltar Pro as well although I think they may have been from Ilex.