Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing my Eastman

Re: Repairing my Eastman

Got some fabric and constructed a cheap focusing cloth.

Also found a great deal from a guy I met years ago. He sold me about 35 antique cameras. Alfas canons kodaks. I also got a bunch of large format stuff. Some 5x7 film holders and 11x14 custom backs. Also got a few backs for my 8x10. I also got a 120 film kit for my 8x10. Pretty cool. I will post pictures in the morning.

Group of over 25 cameras all different makes/models 1900-1960

Graflex 120 film holder/Custom mount? Its for an 8x10. I am adding pins so I can use it on my 8x10 landscape

Older Eastman Kodak 8x10 Film Holder

He is letting me use his Pentax 6x7 which shoots 120 and 220 film. I am pretty excited about this camera

Today I will continue to work on the bellows, and shoot with the 6x7 this weekend. Im not sure how much longer but I am close to shooting as we speak. Hopefully by next weekend I will have it cleaned up and ready to shoot.

Anyone know of a decent wood cleaner that helps keep the woods stain, just cleans it up a bit without ruining the finish too much?

Worked on cleaning it up a bit. Removed some hardware, and used a wood cleaner to get some of the dirt off and help it bring a bit of shine out.

I also worked on repairing some of the bellows that need addressing. Fixed about 7 corners, waiting for them to dry and then finish them up tomorrow. I'm having a lot of fun working on it and am very close to taking it out to photograph with.
    The other thing I worked on today is the focusing "cloth" and got that complete. Ended up using a cheap piece of vinyl and some elastic. I cut it a bit but might cut it back down. I attached the elastic loops to the tilt knobs, which are still usable. Im pretty happy with the design. Took a bit of time to make it but I made it for about $10. Its light tight and hopefully not too hot in the summer. I have that new 120 film holder, which I am going to attach pins to so I can make it landscape. I will update more later today.

It's looking good. Two things that I've used on the outside of bellows are fabric paint and lemon pledge. Use the fabric paint (from hobby shops) to lightproof pinholes in the corners. When dry, spray the Pledge onto the outside and wipe it off. It makes them look better, whether leather or synthetic, and makes them a little more flexible.

I used leather peices on the inside to help cover larger holes, glued in with fabric glue. Then use black paint to cover holes on the inside. I dont want to paint the outside if i dont have to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398136511570.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	114052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398136525504.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	114053

Decided to axe the tripod idea for now. I found a manfrotto tripod a coworker was selling, for almost free and could not pass it up. Started building a wood base for the top. Got it all marked up and it holds the camera great. The tripod is super heavy but it will hold the camera with no problems.

Got my mount all glued and screwed. Set it up out side to check for the strength and it holds up great. I am going to do a final light check and then go shoot a roll of film. I cant wait. It looks so good outside in the sunlight.