Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: "Beliefs" inherited from our "forefathers".

Re: "Beliefs" inherited from our "forefathers".

"Uncoated lenses are definitely unsuitable for color photography"
    "Modern lenses have no bokeh, hence are unsuitable for any kind of artistic work"
    "If you don't use a spotmeter, you'll never be able to properly expose a 'chrome"
    "A 4x5" camera can only be used on a tripod (and without centerpost of course)"
    "A 4x5" camera can only be properly focused with a dark cloth"
    "It is impossible to properly focus a f/9 process lens, use only f/5.6 lenses, minimum"
    "In landscape photography, adding an UV-filter in front of a lens can yield focus shifts and chromatic aberrations"
    "For best panoramic stitching, you should rotate the camera around the nodal point"
    "For macro work, the lens should be reversed"
    "If you do not use the optimum diameter of your pinhole, your pinhole images will be fuzzy"

Regarding diffraction, the best words of widsdom have been posted here some time ago by Leigh
    Diffraction limiting is one of those threats that mothers use to get their kids to eat Brussels sprouts, as in:
    "If you don't eat your sprouts you'll be diffraction limited for the rest of your life."

"Modern lenses have no bokeh, hence are unsuitable for any kind of artistic work"
    That made me smile when I remembered a post, elsewhere, that stated that the very latest and greatest Leica APO lenses are over-corrected so that bokeh is extremely harsh. I agreed.

We have no such issue with our LF lenses, or none that I've used.

Never have I seen so much rejection of dogma, so much sniffing at ideology!

Truth is king here.

A new and glorious dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Never have I seen so much rejection of dogma, so much sniffing at ideology!

Truth is king:
    Where have you found truth here😌?

Where have you found truth here ?

"Uncoated lenses are definitely unsuitable for color photography"
    TRUE : it is easy to check on the ground glass that the image delivered by a pre-WW-II, uncoated lens, is B&W only. This is the reason why, before WW-II, all photographs were B&W only.

TRUE : this is why the recent rebirth of a modern Petzval lens sold out so quickly.

"If you don't use a spotmeter, you'll never be able to properly expose a 'chrome"
    TRUE : this is the reason why Kodachrome was discontinued in 1940, since there was no spotmeter available at the time.

"A 4x5" camera can only be used on a tripod (and without centerpost of course)"
    TRUE : and this explains why all American press photographers switched to 35-mm photography as early as 1929.

"A 4x5" camera can only be properly focused with a dark cloth"
    TRUE : have you ever seen Saint Ansel with a binocular viewer ?

"It is impossible to properly focus a f/9 process lens, use only f/5.6 lenses, minimum"
    TRUE : all users of process cameras had to buy an expensive image intensifier in order to properly focus their image.

"In landscape photography, adding an UV-filter in front of a lens can yield focus shifts and chromatic aberrations"
    TRUE : only ignorant amateurs use UV or protection filters. No serious professional would do that.

"For best panoramic stitching, you should rotate the camera around the nodal point"
    TRUE : millions of successful panoramic stitchers who found where their nodal point is cannot be wrong.

"For macro work, the lens should be reversed"
    TRUE : otherwise why do you think that manufacturers of macro accessories would offer expensive reversing rings ?

"If you do not use the optimum diameter of your pinhole, your pinhole images will be fuzzy"
    TRUE : and if you use the optimum diameter, the images will still be fuzzy; but fuzziness is mandatory in pinhole photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Where have you found truth here?

Be patient, I say, and join us in our faith, for it's still dawn, and as we continue to watch the remaining falsehoods of our forefathers crumble and fall, Truth and its glorious rays have already appeared on the brightening horizon!

More falsehoods:

"One advantage of focusing with the rear standard is that it eliminates 'focus breathing'"
    "When using Xenon flash, every pop of the flash doubles exposure"
    "Retrofocus lenses are all wide angle"
    "Two negatives make a positive and two positives make a negative"
    "One advantage to dedicated multigrade enlarger heads is that they don't require multigrade paper to alter printing contrast"
    "The human eye is amazing because, compared to a typical camera lens, the human eye is essentially free from chromatic aberration"
    "Smaller acceptable Circle of Confusion yields greater depth of field"
    "The main advantage of 'wide angle' enlarging lenses is less light falloff at the corners compared to a lens 'normal' to the format"
    "A one-percent solution is one gram in a centiliter of fluid"

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post

TRUE : all users of process cameras had to buy an expensive image intensifier in order to properly focus their image.
    I manage to get tack sharp images with my Ronar every time using a five buck magnifyer.

I grew up using the first 135 format SLR with a TTL spot meter as well as average meter. 1968-1969Mamiya-Sekor DTL 1000. When I was a young teenager, I had heard of Ansel Adams, but never bothered with the zone system because there was no tailoring of development to individual frames. I made a bunch of exposure mistakes but eventually got the knack of adjusting exposure.

Exposure meters? I used what was printed on the inside of the film box. Worked almost always. ymmv I never heard of AA or a meter. I started with and kept with an early Pentax, before the Spotmatic, used it for 40 years until I took a photo class and THAT was my downfall. I used to know what I was doing...

Quote Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
    I grew up using the first 135 format SLR with a TTL spot meter as well as average meter. 1968-1969Mamiya-Sekor DTL 1000. When I was a young teenager, I had heard of Ansel Adams, but never bothered with the zone system because there was no tailoring of development to individual frames. I made a bunch of exposure mistakes but eventually got the knack of adjusting exposure.