Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 90mm f8 in recessed lens board?

Re: 90mm f8 in recessed lens board?

As I recall the recessed board for the Graphic View is quite thick. It may be too thick to mount a 'modern' shutter safely. Keep this in mind.

Hi:

I have that same lens and used to have a Graphic View and found that I really needed to have a recessed board to be able to use rise or shift. It was just too jammed together to do otherwise. Recessed boards are/were available for the Graphic View and it was necessary to have a special release to work with the recessed board. Presently, I am using the lens on one of the Calumet Wide Angle view cameras with the really short rail. I was using it with a flat board and it was OK. However, I obtained a recessed board in another deal so tried it out with this camera. It was an improvement and was easier to deal with the movements even though it is a "wide angle" camera.

YMMV

Jeff

Since it's cheap to use a dedicated cable release in such situations, I'm going to try, sort of like on a Packard shutter, a hole for the release cableto comfortably exit the side of the recessed box of my boards, take a gentle turn, and then exit pointing forward, all via grommets from the hardware store. That's all theoretical at this point, of course.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Since it's cheap to use a dedicated cable release in such situations, I'm going to try, sort of like on a Packard shutter, a hole for the release cableto comfortably exit the side of the recessed box of my boards, take a gentle turn, and then exit pointing forward, all via grommets from the hardware store. That's all theoretical at this point, of course.
    Hmmmm, this sounds interesting. And fun.

Kenny

Chiming in a bit late here

I mounted an SA 90mm f/8 on my Graphic View II with a generic metal 4x4-inch recessed board. I solved the cable release problem by finding a cable release that could make the bend inside the recess; no drilling or grommets were needed. There is also a right-angle cable release adapter available from B&H and others that should work as well. That lens is now mounted on a recessed Technika board, with the same cable release. I work the aperture control with the plunger of the cable release or a pencil. Everything else I can get to with fingers.

IMO, having the 90mm on a recessed board on the Graphic View helped a lot. You do have to mount both standards in front of the tripod block to make infinity focusing easier and to avoid getting the end of the rail in the shot

Best,

Doremus

Last summer I was shooting on a Cambo monorail and with a 90mm 80% of the time. I got a recessed board for it because I could focus at infinity with ease. It was hard to get to the controls sometimes and very finicky, but I had to do it. On a field camera I used a flat board with the 90mm and it was fine, I mostly used rise and fall and it was pretty good.

Thanks to all who have responded. Very good information to have. Some very practical things I hadn't even considered, too. Thanks again, y'all.