Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY LF film holder

Re: DIY LF film holder

Quote Originally Posted by normanv View Post
    Surely the larger you go the greater the depth of focus and the less critical things become?
    shhh...don't give away the trade secretes....

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by VPooler View Post
    Yes, that is the problem in my case - most of the things a lot of people consider affordable or cheap cost me a month or two's salary. No kidding. The cost of one ULF holder costs more than i spend on food in one month. Should I stay out of 11x14 because I don't live in a country where salaries are high? I don't think so. I already bargained my way into 4x5, I can surely make my way into ULF.
    Do you intend to make your own film? Or do you intend to shoot Xray? Because buying photographic film will leave you hungry.

Seems to me that your logic is flawed when you write "I already bargained my way into 4x5, I can surely make my way into ULF". Given the [relatively] common use of 4x5, it is not too difficult to "bargain" your way in. However, ULF is a totally different beast. There are significantly fewer users of these formats, and this is historically true as well, meaning that there's not the stock of equipment out there.

If you are as strapped for $$ as you write, I doubt these are the formats for you. Film is more expensive. Cameras are more expensive. Lenses are generally more expensive. Processing costs more. Printing costs more. I know this as I have made the change. Make sure that you understand these considerations.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by normanv View Post
    Surely the larger you go the greater the depth of focus and the less critical things become?
    You might want to check this theory...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    Does the ULF film holder actually have to be very rigid? Any warping should be removed by clamping it to the camera back.
    That's what I was thinking when making them with gatorfoam and crescent board, I haven't finished my camera yet, I'll have an answer before the end of the year.

Should be pretty simple to make one sided holders out of foam core. Just mark the slide so you don't pull it all the way out (a la Fuji instant). One big problem people have is matching the distance from the ground glass to film plane, but this can be avoided if you are making a camera, as you can just make the glass with the same materials as the holder. In other words, you don't need a specific distance, just a consistent one.

Press on!

I already have a lens (360mm Apo-Germinar) that I got for free and I intend to shoot paper, x-ray film, whatever I can get my hands on. I have several well-equipped machine shops at the university so making parts is not that big of an issue. Simple box camera design, so I don't go insane over making or worse - buying, bellows. There are materials just laying around for free, so the cost will not be that high. I have a lumber yard nearby, where I could get some hardwood veneer for a bargain to make film holders. Printing is almost free at the community darkroom. There is a symbolic monthly fee and if you want some specific paper you have to buy it yourself. Glad a Foma reseller is a member of the club there so paper comes cheap. If I can make the holders I am good to go, rest is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Do you intend to make your own film? Or do you intend to shoot Xray? Because buying photographic film will leave you hungry.

Seems to me that your logic is flawed when you write "I already bargained my way into 4x5, I can surely make my way into ULF". Given the [relatively] common use of 4x5, it is not too difficult to "bargain" your way in. However, ULF is a totally different beast. There are significantly fewer users of these formats, and this is historically true as well, meaning that there's not the stock of equipment out there.

If you are as strapped for $$ as you write, I doubt these are the formats for you. Film is more expensive. Cameras are more expensive. Lenses are generally more expensive. Processing costs more. Printing costs more. I know this as I have made the change. Make sure that you understand these considerations.

"Surely the larger you go the greater the depth of focus and the less critical things become?
    You might want to check this theory... "

Could you explain?

I too would like to hear this explanation !
    Regards,Peter

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

There is an article called "Construction of an 8 x 10 Field View Camera" by James Vail on the net. While he does not go into detail on constructing dark slides, there is a comprehensive diagram at the end of the article called "8 x 10 Film Holder" showing the components that I assume can be modified for other sizes.