Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse Osmosis system recommendations?

Re: Reverse Osmosis system recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Don't drink de-ionized water. It will leach minerals from your body. At least that's what the folks who sell de-ionization systems for reef aquariums say. Also, be careful about RO water an bacteria, since you're taking out all of the chlorine.
    Those two things are true, but drinking de-ionized or distilled water occasionally won't hurt you, so don't freak out if you have a drink of it. Just don't make it your main supply of water. Cooking with it can diminish some of the value of the food, too.

Distilled water becomes acidic because it sucks carbon dioxide from the air, but I've never had a problem with photo chemistry.

I am left wondering how many commercial beverages are made using deionized water, and if soft drinks (or heaven forbid, beer) is made of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Have you looked into a home distillation system?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...+water+at+home
    Yes, too loud and small capacity

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Don't drink de-ionized water. It will leach minerals from your body. At least that's what the folks who sell de-ionization systems for reef aquariums say.
    De-ionized water doesn't leach out minerals, it just doesn't bring any minerals in with it. Also, it doesn't "taste good" because it doesn't contain minerals. At home I use ConcenTrace drops, and one of its selling points is, "Ideal For Improving the Flavor of Distilled, Reverse Osmosis & Purified Waters."
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I never suggested that anybody should drink the stuff! I just suggested that he should try de-ionised water as a replacement for (expensive) distelled water. It works for me in the D-76H, the Agfa Neutral fixer (sometimes TF3) and the final rinse. We get good well water out of the tap, why the heck would I want to drink de-ionised?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the link about the drops. I drink distilled water in addition to using to develop. The taste is fine but I suspect the added minerals will improve it. For developing, I've noticed PMK looks less tan with distilled then filtered water. Here in So. Ca. the water is very hard with calcium from the cement aqueducts. After making a few gallons the boiler looks like someone sprayed fine concrete cement into it. An RO should remove the calcium from what I recall of my research. I've read that one should boil the water before use which the distillation does.

An RO is good but my preference was distillation. Now back to photography....

Best R's,

Tim

I drink distilled water in addition to using to develop.
    RO should suffice. Remember that distilled water rapidly becomes acidic which can effect chemistry, and your body.

I installed a Whirlpool RO system, model WHER25, in my darkroom and love it. My house is plagued with very hard water and this thing has been worth it's weight in gold. The tank is not very large, but I keep several 2 gallon jugs full in the darkroom at all times and use only the jug water for film developing. I wash by soaking, not by running water, so I can stretch 2.5 gallons to do 12 4x5 (rotary), 6 4x5 (inversion), 2 120, or 3 35mm with no issues. I will use running tap water for RC prints, followed by a few soak sessions in RO water for final rinse, no issues there either. RO is the best investment I have made for the darkroom.

Be careful with the water at first. Most RO systems have carbon filters. At one time, I installed some carbon filters on the water going to my darkroom. The filters gave off a very fine particulate that glued itself to film during development. I might've had some bad filters.... In an case, whenever you make a big change to your process, such as changing the water supply, make sure to run a test before committing important film to the new process.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know