Thread: Epson 3800 same problem

Epson 3800 same problem

I have an Epson 3800 printer and here's the problem.When I make a COLOR print the print comes out very close to what I see on my moniter.When I make a B&W print from a color photo it comes out very dark and contrasty. I've recently calibrated my moniter using the Spider 4 and the color prints are fine but the B&W prints are still dark and contrasty. So what gives. I use the 'advanced B&W " setting when making B&W prints.What else could I try?

Re: Epson 3800 same problem

You should start with a BW image in photoshop (or whatever rip you are using to print).
    You can do this by sliding the saturation sliders all the way down, or just dumping the color info by switching to greyscale in the Image Mode.
    That will eliminate the driver controlling the data between the image and final print.

Preston Birdwell

Re: Epson 3800 same problem

If you use CS6 or PS-CC, you can use the Black and White adjustment layer on an RGB image. Create this layer above the background layer and then use the sliders to adjust the tonal values. Next, use Levels or Curves adjustment layers with their blending mode set to Luminosity to fine tune. Size and sharpen the output file, which is still and RGB file. In PS, set the print dialog for Photoshop Manages color. Make a proof print.

If you don't have CS6 or PS-CC, use a Channel Mixer adjustment layer instead of the Black and White adjustment layer and then proceed as above.

Since you are working with an RGB file, you do not need to use the ABW in the Epson software.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."