Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the 47mm the widest lens, period?

hacker extraordinaire

Is the 47mm the widest lens, period?

I've been doing some medium format with 6x7 and 50mm lens. It's nice and wide but could be wider. There is a 45mm available on the Pentax 67 but even that is barely shorter than the 47mm XL which covers 4x5 film! This leads me to conclude that the 47mm lenses on 4x5 are wider than anything else available. A 15mm lens on 35mm would be similar I believe but there are no such lenses made. I would really like a 35mm or less lens that covers 6x7 or 6x9 medium format but I have never come across one.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Re: Is the 47mm the widest lens, period?

Their is a Russian 30mm for Pentacon 6 mount http://www.pentaconsix.com/30mmpt2.htm

I believe there is a 35mm lens for the Pentax 67, and when I was working at a camera shop years ago, I remember playing with some 14mm lenses for 35mm. I'm sure other people will be chiming in momentarily with other super-wides.

hacker extraordinaire

The 67 35mm is a fisheye whereas the 47mm Schneider lenses are relatively distortion free if I am correctly informed.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Are we talking all formats here? Voigtlander makes a rectilinear 12mm for 35mm format in Leica RF mount. That's the widest lens I'm familiar with. They also make a 15mm, which I have and is a lot of fun. Vivitar makes a 14mm which appears to be optically identical to the Bower/Rokinon/many-other-names 15mm, for 35mm SLRs, and I believe Nikon made or makes a 13mm.

I love wide wides, and you are not a friend of my bank account to have pointed out that the 47mm XL covers 4x5--something I wasn't aware of, previously.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Yes the 47 mm XL by Schneider covers 4 X 5 without vignetting and is what one would call rectilinear (no fisheye effect) but it is far from distortion free. In order to achieve sharp focus at the image corners the lens design distorts, for example, a circle into an oblong in a serious way.

For the 35 mm format certainly the recently designed 14 to 24 mm zoom Nikkor is an ultra wide tour de force with almost unmatched performance for that format.

For 6X7 format I'm aware of two rectilinear ultra wide lenses. The Mamiya 43 mm for the Mamiya II and the older Pentax 45 mm for the Pentax 67.

Also the Hasselblad CFE4/40 for 6X6 format has a 90 degree field of view but of course vignettes on 6X7.

Look for the angle of view for a particular ultra wide on 6X7 and go for that. It may be that the 120 degree field of view with the Schneider 47 XL will still yield the widest angle of view on 6X7 format but the image quality from the 43mm Mamiya will surpass the Schneider by a measurable bit.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

My widest is a 10.5 Nikkor with the built-in shade removed...

--Darin

Is the 47mm the widest lens, period?

You could buy a Schneider 38mm XL to use in a 6x9 tecnical camera. Or a 4x5 camera with a 6x7 or 6x9 film back.

It even covers 6x12.

For up to the nominal 6x12 cm there is also the 35mm Rodenstock Grandagon.