Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Largest print possible

Re: Largest print possible

I have the exact same enlarger setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Both my CLS Color Head and L1840 enlarger came from different darkrooms in which the enlargers were permanently set up to project on the wall.

The higher the magnification ratio the less important alignment of the head to the paper (and the more important lens to negative alignment). You can align the tracks to the wall with a carpenter's right angle but you may need a PROLA fine-adjustable lensboard.

Attachment 112845

Not used this Durst 138 horizontal, only vertical as directed by dark room space available. Have used horizontal enlargers before and they are appealing. Very much like using a horizontal process camera. Projection to a wall, with the enlarger on tracks which keeps it in proper alignment. Set up and alignment is pretty much the same as a vertical set up as there is a horizontal dentent on the Drust 138 head that can be used as a starting point.

Paper can be secured by using an extrusion or channel frame to fit the paper size (one of those "speed-eazel" modified to accept magnets or even velcro will do) with a step mounted on the wall with magnets to allow positioning for different paper sizes and position the image as required.

Dodge/burn tools are a bit different, but not that different only long enough to allow reaching areas from one side of the print.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Bernice, I wonder whether anyone has actually done this with their Durst. I am aware the rotating head is one of its selling points, but the difficulties of large magnification without a permanently oriented and tested setup seem legion to me (I know we've all seen AA do this in his Carmel DR). How does one align the head to the printing surface – which is presumably a wall? How are you securing paper vertically? Is it comfortable to dodge and burn in this orientation? Etc.?

ic, Bob, Bernice. – thanks for the replies. Of course, point taken about the increased lens DOF at greater distance – my savior in big enlargements. It does seem that planning and permanence of setup is the key, not the kind of casual approach to large prints by simply turning the head and pointing to a wall. Wish I had a Durst.

Sad state of so many Durst or Devere enlargers.. Many of them have been scrapped or tossed out as photo labs closed and no one wanted them free. IMO, these are great enlargers in many ways.

Many think or believe that a floor standing Durst or Devere is too big for the typical dark room and will choose a Besler or similar with the belief that it is more space efficient. Once the table space and working space is consider and installed, the floor standing Durst or Devere is not that much larger.. Yet these enlargers are so much nicer to use and stable in ever way.

Don't give up those nice Durst or Devere enlargers are still out there and can be had for not too much funds. If possible get the entire set up as purchasing individual bits will be expensive and not so easy to find or get. Specially the film carriers.

Bernice

ic, Bob, Bernice. – thanks for the replies. Of course, point taken about the increased lens DOF at greater distance – my savior in big enlargements. It does seem that planning and permanence of setup is the key, not the kind of casual approach to large prints by simply turning the head and pointing to a wall. Wish I had a Durst.

Yes - getting this setup is not for the faint of heart, and you are correct a more permanent set up is required.

45-57-617

Guys,

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out the theoretical size constraints for vertical enlargement of a 6x17 neg to be honest. Being a neg with a different aspect ratio means I was thinking of making a baseboard that was wider than the norm.

I picked on either 5x7 or 8x10 as formats which had a dimension larger than the 6x17 to get an idea of size.

I have been a calculatin' and I reckon that I will in no way exceed around 52 inches as the long dimension with any lens combination (perhaps excluding the WA lenses). That is with the baseboard on the ground and the lens at max height (around 60 inches between them).

If I make the board 48 inches (chipboard comes at 1200mm wide here) by say 32 inches I should be good to go. Now I just need to find a demolition store. Around here the chippies (cabinetmakers) want $330 for a 48 by 32 board !! (33mm thick)

I'll get a black laminate yes ?

Steve