Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: new55 kickstarter has begun

Remember to take out the trash

Re: new55 kickstarter has begun

Many people don't seem to understand how KS works. It is not a pre-order, and you are certainly taking a risk in backing any project.

But this project appears to be well researched, and they have a working product. They got bitten by the amateurish marketing mistakes they made early in the campaign - partly for legitimate reasons, partly since everyone expect slick marketing campaigns and smoothness from the talking heads these days.

But I'm not backing a marketing campaign, I'm backing the product creators. Given the lack of instant film in 4x5 format this is the only possible option in the foreseeable future for us. Therefore I'm more than willing to take the risk, and become part of photographic history in the (re-)making.

I just upped my pledge to ten boxes. That should keep me stocked for at least a year of shooting. After that? I hope others will pick up the rest of the 100k of funding left to go, so that after a year there will be more boxes made!

Great article on the New55 kickstarter, and the future of film.

http://landcameras.com/news/dear-pri...-photographer/

Guys, just don't get overheated. Just in a few days it's over altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Witold Grabiec View Post
    An equity offer would have completed Kickstarter campaign a long time ago. Why isn't it there?

[snip]

[snip] When you ask for funding, you should have a pretty clear plan of how you are going to prove your spending... [snip]

[snip]
    Witold-

If by 'equity' you mean something like common stock ownership in a company, neither the United States Securities and Exchange Commission nor Kickstarter rules permit offering securities there.

This is not to say that New55 Holdings, LLC, will not entertain a private round of investment at some point in the future but simply that Kickstarter is not the place for it.

Regarding the plan to manufacture New55 FILM, we're pretty explicit in the text of the Kickstarter page. Perhaps you misread or skipped over the summary statement of the budget under "Use of Proceeds." We've openly discussed more than most people expect. More detail than can reasonably be consumed in a sitting is on the New55 FILM blog, where the open discussion dates back to 2010.

I'm afraid there's not much more we can (efficiently) talk about. Thank you for your support.

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Have the New55 people said which film they'll be using? I remember reading once on their blog that Efke 25, tri-x, HP5+, and others, were good candidates, but did they actually say which film?
    We've stated the qualifying off-the-shelf emulsions that work or are likely to work and what the defining characteristics are. This gets decided when we go to Mobberley and to Rochester and to Berlin and to Bohemia, with money in hand, to negotiate a commitment to supply the "First Edition." Some of the design and component choices are impacted by other alternatives up-stream the assembly line, so it's a fluid situation.

Thanks for asking, Andrew.
    -Sam

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    Witold-

If by 'equity' you mean something like common stock ownership in a company, neither the United States Securities and Exchange Commission nor Kickstarter rules permit offering securities there.

This is not to say that New55 Holdings, LLC, will not entertain a private round of investment at some point in the future but simply that Kickstarter is not the place for it.

Regarding the plan to manufacture New55 FILM, we're pretty explicit in the text of the Kickstarter page. Perhaps you misread or skipped over the summary statement of the budget under "Use of Proceeds." We've openly discussed more than most people expect. More detail than can reasonably be consumed in a sitting is on the New55 FILM blog, where the open discussion dates back to 2010.

I'm afraid there's not much more we can (efficiently) talk about. Thank you for your support.

-Sam
    I've seen kickstarter projects succeed at the last minute through the actions of a single benefactor-
    Perhaps there should be a 'final hurdle' reward, which might give something significant, such as naming rights, to anyone willing to get the project over the finish line.

One thing seems certain as a result of this exercise so far, rich people have no particular love for big film...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witold Grabiec View Post
    An equity offer would have completed Kickstarter campaign a long time ago. Why isn't it there?
    What exactly do you mean by "equity?" Could you please clarify that?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I assume he means a percentage of ownership of the company shares and/or future sales.

At the level they are looking for, they need an angel investor to finish backing them. Either that or a massive publicity push. I'm surprised as well.

It's over the 300K mark. 4 days to go!

Is an equity offer allowed? Would an equity stake endanger Kickstart? I do not know. I raise the question to bring out the experts.